is there any way to identify/recognize standard internet TV files like plex does?

jaquestati

jaquestati

i've pretty much switched from Plex to Emby permanently... haven't really used plex in a couple months...
emby just streams and buffers so much better than emby for me, it's not funny. and embys live tv puts plex to shame : )

the ONE thing about emby (well aside from not being able to move the database location in linux)  :)
that drives me nuts/creates tons of work. is it's failure to identify television.

90% of my tv comes in the standard format of like - Caribbean.Life.S08E08.Beginning.a.New.Adventure.in.Bocas.Del.Toro.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv
inside a folder named Caribbean.Life.S08E08.Beginning.a.New.Adventure.in.Bocas.Del.Toro.720p.HDTV.x264

each episode comes like that in its own folder. plex deals with them/identifies all the episodes just fine ... but with emby i have to make a folder named caribbean life and put these directories/files in there or it just sees each of the folders as its own unidentified show... weird thing is you dont need to rename the folders or files, just put them in there as is/above and emby identifies all the episodes just fine. : )

before you ask... with my server/gdrive setup things like autoorganize and filebot are not an option : (

wouldn't it be a simple tweak to have emby ignore the periods and trailing stuff like plex does and correctly identify it... i mean it DOES identify the long period filled names once inside a correctly named folder... 

thanks.

Hi, we do try to ignore those. we'd have to look at the server log of an example. thanks.

jaquestati

well basically its every file named like that, for instance a couple of the ones sitting on the server unidentified are named-

Austin.City.Limits.S41E13.Sleater-Kinney.Heartless.Bastards.720p.HDTV.x264

Cults and Extreme Belief S01E05 World Peace Unification Sanctuary 107 1080p Amazon WEB-DL DD+ 2.0 x264

Wellington.Paranormal.S01E01.720p.HDTV.x264

as a test i just moved the files into folders named austin city limits, cults and extreme belief and wellington paranormal and emby identified them all correctly.

i realize the files and folders don't meet the standard emby naming conventions (nor do they plex's), i was just wondering if there was any tweak that could be done to still identify them like plex does : )

Edited by jaquestati

mastrmind11

Why can't you configure your grabber to properly name the folders?

Yes we can probably improve that. the server log would help tell us what we passed into tvdb search.

jaquestati

Why can't you configure your grabber to properly name the folders?

all my libraries are on an encrypted gdrive and auto-organize can't move/rename things, nor can filebot : (

worse still... even renaming folders on the gdrive is a royal pain/not worth the effort...

there is like a 30-120 second delay for each rename : ) : (

(actually if there is like an entire season in the folder you rename it could take 5-10 minutes to take depending)

Edited by jaquestati

mastrmind11

Hard drives are cheap. Move stuff locally.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jaquestati

Hard drives are cheap. Move stuff locally.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i'd need like $6,000 worth of hard drives and even if that was feasible... i'd hate to think of the electric bill... : (

i was just thinking there must be an easy fix since emby identifies nearly every movie named in the same format... (more than plex now actually)

and individual episodes named this way as long as they are in a properly named folder above...

i'll try and get the log.

jaquestati

Yes we can probably improve that. the server log would help tell us what we passed into tvdb search.

i'd kinda too paranoid to post an entire log..

but here is a snippit of the latest show that is named like this and goes unidentified in emby but identified in plex.

(this contains all 4 mentions of the file/show in the log)

emby.txt

Edited by jaquestati

Well that is only a portion of a log file. what is the folder structure for that example?

jaquestati

Well that is only a portion of a log file. what is the folder structure for that example?

well like all the other ones that don;t get identified... it's in a folder named the same as the video file minus the file extension...

ie in this case it's in the tv folder emby scans in a folder named the same as the video file minus the extension.. : ) 

if i move the directory into a folder thats just the shows name with no other nonsense...  removing all the spaces and resolution etc and just use the name of the show.. it gets identified correctly... without renaming the folder or file itself.