feature request: guest star info from IMDB as a fallback from the TVDB

psybertech

psybertech

On some shows, the TVDB doesn't list guest stars, but in IMDb they are there.

If no guest star data exists from the TVDB, can Emby grab the list from IMDB?

I know if becomes a bit more complicated since IMDB doesn't list actors as guests, but maybe a check to see if the main stars are already there, then add the rest as guest stars?

I know it could be a little messy in the resulting UI, but I'd rather see everyone on the show for each episode.

For me, the older TV shows that relied on guest stars that were popular at the time to boost ratings are great to see who was who when I can't remember.

i.e. The Love Boat or Fantasy Island or heck, any show really.

The TVDB is great and all, but not all episodes are kept up, so the IMDB seems to be a reasonable fallback.

Anyway...

I'd love to see the guest stars feature beefed up and even at the cost of the credited actors being increased.

Linked actors is one of the features that made me jump ship from Plex, so, please help!

The more actors, the merrier. :)

Thanks!

j

Imdb is not an open data service. Omdb often has Imdb-like data so that might give you what you want, at the cost of longer library scans. Same for Tmdb.

psybertech

Thanks... 

I completely forgot that there were other options in the library section for each library to use the OMDB and the MDB... I know I saw them when I setup the TV section, but just figured the TVDB was the be all, end all. Sorry about that.

I have enabled them and am running a scan. I hope it fills in some gaps.

I am not sure if having them all enabled will work for filling in the 'gaps' or if I have to decide on a primary source and live with it or not.... I will check tomorrow to see if the gaps were filled or not.

Thanks again, Luke.  :)

J

With tvdb we can get all of the series data for all episodes in a single download. For tmdb and omdb we have to download for each episode one at a time, that's going to result in much longer scanning.