To thumb or not to thumb

jglazer63

jglazer63

So I am still getting used to Emby and I gotta say I like it!   One thing, however, I notice that a lot of my movies don't have thumb/cover photos while a lot do.   I don't know how that is.  There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can see.  The movies are just the movie file itself (.mkv, .avi, .mp4...etc).  No .JPG file exists.   I will say that I do have kodi and it scraped a lot of these already into its own DB.  But the movie folders themselves only contain the .JPG.   Kodi has ALL the covers.  Emby only has about 10%.  Can anyone explain?

arrbee99

You don't think its anything to do with this - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60505-number-of-images-downloaded-seems-to-have-changed/&do=findComment&comment=595091 or related, in that you need to tell Emby what to collect and where to save it by adjusting appropriate settings per individual library and refreshing after setting ?

You don't think its anything to do with this - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60505-number-of-images-downloaded-seems-to-have-changed/&do=findComment&comment=595091 or related, in that you need to tell Emby what to collect and where to save it by adjusting appropriate settings per individual library and refreshing after setting ?

Probably not. The out of box settings will be good for most.

arrbee99

Fair enough. Should image I haven't had out of box settings for about 3 or 4 years now... :)

jglazer63

Specific example.. well, none of my John Wayne movies have a cover photo.  I did find that if I run Tiny Media Manager against one and it creates the necessary metadata and images then emby shows those images fine.   However, at the same time, I have a James Bond movie that does show a cover and in that movie's folder is just the .avi file yet Emby shows a cover fine.  When I click a movie, the info is always there (description) and the actor images load (I assume grabbed on demand).   But no cover is shown for the ones that don't have one.

jglazer63

The folder structure is

d:\movies\mymovie\mymovie.mp4

That's it. A folder that contains just the movie file. No other peripheral files exist at the moment and for some of my movies, a cover is present while for others (the majority), no cover.

jglazer63

d:\Movies\3 Godfathers [1948]\3 Godfathers [1948].avi (no cover)

d:\Movies\August Rush [2007]\August Rush [2007].mp4 (shows cover)

Edited by jglazer63

Okay, so the answer is "no" they aren't conforming to our conventions :).

Change those square brackets to parens and see what happens...

jglazer63

As a test, I added a second space before the [1948] in the name of the folder. Then rescanned the library. BOOM! There's a cover. So perhaps I have to somehow have Emby dump its cache and rescan from scratch? How do I do this?

It's not the square brackets that's the issue. At least not from this test.

Edited by jglazer63

It is. We are ignoring the content inside the brackets. Therefore without the year it decreases the chances of a successful lookup.

jglazer63

Ok, I can appreciate the year being another qualifier for accuracy. But as stated above, all I did was rename the folder with an additionaly space and the rescan and the cover picture appeared. Can I also suggest that you make the year found in (), [], or {} depending on user's preferences? I use different delimitters based on what did the scraping.

jglazer63

So how do I get emby to rescan all folders and add the titles? It obviously worked for the one, I think I just need to get rid of the cache and try again.

The other thing you can do is use the Identify feature in the web app. Have you tried that?

Happy2Play

Have you tried selecting Refresh-Scan for missing metadata?

jglazer63

I don't want to have to touch every video.   Where is the refresh-scan for missing metadata?   I want to mention again that when I click the movie with the missing  cover, it shows the correct description and actors.  Just the cover is missing.  So it is finding the movie.

Edited by jglazer63

You can try using the refresh metadata feature, but that's just going to repeat what's already been done. if you want the result to be different then something actually has to change. Has anything changed?

jglazer63

I don't understand why adding a single space to the folder made it work.  Something went sideways somewhere.

Happy2Play

I don't understand why adding a single space to the folder made it work.  Something went sideways somewhere.

Because Emby sees it as a new item (do to the change).  There is no way to know what happened with your initial media import as you probably don't have those logs.

Does doing a Refresh All or Refresh -Scan for missing metadata on a single item correct the issue?  Right click or select the 3 dot button-Refresh metadata-select Refresh mode

Does a item that is missing images have Media Info on the itemdetails screen?

Edited by Happy2Play

TheTabman

I don't want to have to touch every video.

There are utilities like this to recursively change filenames, which should allow you to change [Year] into (Year). In my opinion the best solution for your problem.