Next Up Question

dranderson402

dranderson402

I'm using the emby app on my shield android tv. I'm also running oreo if it matters.

When I click on a Next Up episode, either from the oreo channels or from within the app itself, I'm taken to a screen where I can select play. Just below that I see all the previous and next episodes. When I watch the next up episode and it finishes, I'm taken back to the screen showing me the episode I just watched. Shouldn't it move to the next episode?

For example, say next up is episode 2 because I've already watched ep1. Now I click on ep2 from Next Up. From that screen I click play. When ep2 finishes I'm back at the screen I clicked play from and it still shows ep2. Shouldn't it advance to ep3? I can arrow down to the row of episodes. It will show a check mark for ep1 as watched. Ep2 is unchecked but if I arrow over to ep3 and select then ep2 will show watched.

Also, if I exit back to the main menu then ep3 shows as next up as it should. Just figured it would advance on the play from screen.

Hi.  That is the detail screen for the item you selected.  While I understand why you may expect this based on how you got there, it would be expected for you to return to the same place you left from after playback, not somewhere else.  There is one exception to this - if you actually play more than one episode, then when you return, it will bring you to the last episode you played.

For how you are using the system, I make two suggestions:

1) Don't go to the detail screen at all.  Just hit the "Play" button on your remote from the Next Up item.  Then, when you come back, you'll be on the Next Up row and it will update as you expect.  OR

2) Turn on the option to auto queue next episodes and let it play automatically until you are done watching that series.

MRobi

Hi.  That is the detail screen for the item you selected.  While I understand why you may expect this based on how you got there, it would be expected for you to return to the same place you left from after playback, not somewhere else.  There is one exception to this - if you actually play more than one episode, then when you return, it will bring you to the last episode you played.

For how you are using the system, I make two suggestions:

1) Don't go to the detail screen at all.  Just hit the "Play" button on your remote from the Next Up item.  Then, when you come back, you'll be on the Next Up row and it will update as you expect.  OR

2) Turn on the option to auto queue next episodes and let it play automatically until you are done watching that series.

With the shield remote there is no "play" button per say. Only directional pad, select, back and home. So from the next up page, or any page for that matter, the only option is select which automatically brings you to the detail page.

I do agree with you completely that when it's complete it should bring you back to the same place you started. However I'm wondering if it would be possible to have that page refresh when it reloads? 

In OP's example above, if you watch Ep2, when playback is complete it brings you back to the details page for Ep2. However, on the details page for Ep2 the next up bar that's there doesn't show Ep2 as watched even though you just finished watching it. When looking for the next unwatched episode, instinct is to select the first one on the list without the checkmark, but in this case that is Ep2 again. You need to select the 2nd one on the list without the checkmark. I would think having the page refresh when playback is complete would make the checkmark appear.

dranderson402

With the shield remote there is no "play" button per say. Only directional pad, select, back and home. So from the next up page, or any page for that matter, the only option is select which automatically brings you to the detail page.

I do agree with you completely that when it's complete it should bring you back to the same place you started. However I'm wondering if it would be possible to have that page refresh when it reloads? 

In OP's example above, if you watch Ep2, when playback is complete it brings you back to the details page for Ep2. However, on the details page for Ep2 the next up bar that's there doesn't show Ep2 as watched even though you just finished watching it. When looking for the next unwatched episode, instinct is to select the first one on the list without the checkmark, but in this case that is Ep2 again. You need to select the 2nd one on the list without the checkmark. I would think having the page refresh when playback is complete would make the checkmark appear.

Yes, I agree when what I'm watching ends I should be returned to where I started play from. And I also wonder if it would be best if where I started play from was the detail screen, then why shouldn't that detail screen refresh and at the very least show the episode as played in the next up row below. The episode that just ended will turn the check mark red for the episode, but as you mentioned, then next up row below the detail does not.

As for pressing play from the next up row to begin playback, being that the shield remote does not have a play button, I use the harmony smart hub and have the play and pause buttons programmed as play and pause. They work as a toggle for play and pause while watching so I'll try them to begin playback to see if it works as you describe. Problem is not everyone uses a harmony remote. They use the shield's remote and that brings me back to the refresh of the detail screen.

dranderson402

FYI double-tapping the volume slider on the Shield remote is "Play/Pause".

Oh Yea, forgot about that.

Trying to remember all the multi-functions of a remote is like trying to remember all the passwords for all the systems and manufacturer access at work. Way too many remotes for way to many devices with way too many multi-functions. Makes my head spin.

MRobi

FYI double-tapping the volume slider on the Shield remote is "Play/Pause".

That's right! I forgot I disabled this feature on the remote because my wife kept trying to turn up/down the volume by repeatedly tapping the top/bottom of the slider like you would on a regular remote.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  LOL

dranderson402

Well, pressing play from the Next Up menu inside the app works. When the episode ends I'm taken back to the Next Up row in the app. But you can't press play to start the episode from the channel row on the shield's home screen. You have to select and that takes you to the detail screen which is what I would expect.