Uninstalling Emby (mono) to install .NET beta package, question about metadata location.

djhifi

djhifi

I Have centralized metadata (with the .nfo's being stored with my media). That centralized folder gets wiped when I uninstall or?

I also have "save media path within .nfo", is there a way to change that path without needing to re-identify pottentially bad scrapped movies? (This question is only curiosity incase I ever decided to move my centralized metadata location)

Any help?

Thanks

Edited by djhifi

Hi, if you have nfo files in your movie folders then i think you're already all set.

• Like 1

djhifi

Hi, if you have nfo files in your movie folders then i think you're already all set.

Yes I do have. And I've also backed up my server config using the premiere plugin. My question was about centralized metadata, that I have setted up manually to be on a different location than the standard. I wanted to know if uninstalling the server would wipe such folder or not, since the Synology doesn't prompt a checklist to choose from (like Windows). But seems like i'm good to go then.

PS: I've noticed that if I have a movie with "locked metadata" and change it from one disk to another, Emby folder monitor prompts as new content but doesn't show the images, leading me to have to unlock the movie and rescrape them. Expected behavior?

Edited by djhifi

Then it sounds like the media folder for that item did not contain the artwork. it was probably in the centralized folder.

djhifi

Then it sounds like the media folder for that item did not contain the artwork. it was probably in the centralized folder.

I don't use "save artwork with media" i store everything in a centralized database. Is that the reason? Emby server needs media in the actual folder? Even if the .nfo ir pointing to the correct artwork? Happy2play told me perhaps Emby is creating a new item ID hence a new folder in the "centralized" path I have, is this possible?

I just checked right now. I have 2 movies correctly scrapped, with poster, fanart, etc. Everything correctly scrapped and the centralized metadata path is stored in the .nfo.

Those 2 movies have metadata locked.

I moved them from 1 HDD to another HDD, the folder monitor correctly pops-up telling me new content, the 2 movies have the new correct HDD when I click the "edit metadata" and check the path, BUT, they lose their images, and when I go to the .nfo it points to the centralized metadata but when I check it's some random thumb (related to the movie, thants granted) but makes no sense!

I'm thinking that. If, when I move a movie within discs, the server creates a new ID, the logic would be that the previous ID (which is also the name of the folder with all the artwork in the centralized metadata) changes and as I have locked metadata it doesn't actually download anything to the newly created folder in the central metadata folder, is this it?

Edited by djhifi

No, Emby doesn't need artwork in the media folder, but if you move a media folder with no images into a new server, what are you expecting that will happen?

djhifi

No, Emby doesn't need artwork in the media folder, but if you move a media folder with no images into a new server, what are you expecting that will happen?

I didnt move into a new server. I have several HDDs and sometimes, to have space to place new episdes of a given show, I move a Movie from one HDD to another. That movie has the metadata locked, and the behavior I described above happens.

And I don't understand why. Since the .nfo is pointing to the correct metadata location (centralized) but the server issues a new movie ID hence creates a new folder in the centralized metadata that, if locked in that particular movie, renders 0 images?

So the metadata lock is only usefull to rebuild databases but conflicts with moving folders around THE SAME SERVER?

And I don't understand why. Since the .nfo is pointing to the correct metadata location

The nfo is a self contained file. It doesn't point to anywhere. Emby Server knows the centralized metadata location for a library item based on it's internal ID with the server.

This might be the same server machine but it is a new server installation and thus, for all intents and purposes, a new Emby Server.

So the metadata lock is only usefull to rebuild databases but conflicts with moving folders around THE SAME SERVER?

No there is no conflict, but the two servers each have their own independent centralized metadata folder.