Videos inside Photo library won't autoplay

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

I have one photo library which contains videos inside its correspondent folder along the photos in the hard drive, while browsing photos inside a particular album in Emby, if the next item is a video, it won't start to play, instead all I see is a still image of the video itself, if I press the select button on the remote nothing happens, I was expecting to see the video to autoplay but it didn't.

Richard Branches

Yeah, the app is just expecting a photo slide show at this point.

So I guess I won't be able to start playback directly from there either since the center button of the remote doesn't do anything at this point.

No he's commenting on the current state of the app. We'll look into improving it, thanks.

Richard Branches

No he's commenting on the current state of the app. We'll look into improving it, thanks.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Okay, so let's talk about what should really be expected behavior here...

You are in the middle of a photo slideshow, maybe even music is playing in the background.  Now you encounter a video within the photo folder.  What should happen...?

If the video starts playing automatically, now my interaction with what was happening is completely different than before.  Perhaps I was using the arrow keys to move forward and back through the slide show now I can't do that because a video is playing and it will seek the video instead.  Also, my music was stopped.

My thinking is that, if I'm watching a photo slideshow, that's what I want to see - photos sliding by (perhaps with music in the background).  I don't want a 10 minute video to kick off in the middle of it.

Perhaps, we allow you to launch the video manually when it appears on the screen instead...

maegibbons

Bingo!  Thats exactly what should happen.

Krs

Mark

Richard Branches

Perhaps, we allow you to launch the video manually when it appears on the screen instead...

Yeah, I was thinking that autoplay may be intrusive so the best behavior would be to play the video manually by pressing the center button of the remote control, and the still image should display the "play" button in the middle of the screen to acknowledge the user about the type of content it is.