Auto Quality Feature on Server

padrecito007

padrecito007
Good morning to all.

I would like the automatic configuration option to exist on the server computer and not on the client.

The problem is that when someone starts watching videos it occupies the entire bandwidth of the wireless network, when this happens, all the other members of the family are left without Internet service, slow online games, and other annoyances.

The person who is watching the video does not intend to decrease the quality of the video.

It is for this reason that I request that developers develop the Auto Quality option for the user but on the server.

Thank you.

I suppose we could add an in-network cap similar to the out of network cap. You're aware that this will cause sever transcoding though right? That means higher cpu usage on your server, so there is a trade off.

padrecito007

I suppose we could add an in-network cap similar to the out of network cap. You're aware that this will cause sever transcoding though right? That means higher cpu usage on your server, so there is a trade off.

Good morning. Thanks for your kind reply.

I create a user called "Free User" without a password.
All members of the family use the same user profile.
The speed limit would be for each IP. It would be great as well.

Some of the members of the family still do not know how to write a password, other members resent writing passwords. for this reason the most appropriate would be that the limit is for each IP address

Thanks

Ok, I don't see that happening because ip addresses can change with mobile devices. You may want to handle this kind of limit via router settings or reverse proxy. Thanks.

Deathsquirrel

Good morning. Thanks for your kind reply.

I create a user called "Free User" without a password.
All members of the family use the same user profile.
The speed limit would be for each IP. It would be great as well.

Some of the members of the family still do not know how to write a password, other members resent writing passwords. for this reason the most appropriate would be that the limit is for each IP address

Thanks

You should create separate users for each person.  Each account can have no PW if you like but that way each one can track what they have watched separately and it's at least possible that your feature request could be implemented.

padrecito007
I get it.

What I want to get Emby videos played lightly on the Wi-Fi network.

In another scenario I have tried two users watching videos at 60mbps, only the two saturate the network, they are both stuttering the broken videos, this is an unpleasant experience.

The emby server should detect that it is stuttering, then lower its video quality.

With the intention of solving this problem, I put into operation a Mikrotik router, limiting the speed to each user to 3mbps.

The result was disastrous; the videos play intermittently indefinitely.

KarlDag

I don't thing it's an "in vs out" network case, but more of a total bandwidth thing.

The current auto bitrate creates a fixed bitrate at launch. I have 20 Mbps upload. If the first stream starts at 20Mbps because that's available, then there is nothing left for a 2nd stream.

When a 2nd stream is started emby should split bandwidth in half for each stream 10Mbps) so both users get an acceptable experience. With HW acceleration it shouldn't be a problem for most. Plex has done this for about a year now, works well.

We do have measurement for remote connections. We just don't do that inside the home network because the majority of users are going to be on a fast enough network to handle multiple streams.

padrecito007

We do have measurement for remote connections. We just don't do that inside the home network because the majority of users are going to be on a fast enough network to handle multiple streams.

Good day.
Want to know if it is in the plans of the Emby creator to fix the problem.
Emby sounds nice but has that tremendous stuttering problem due to lack of video quality control.

Hi, there are video quality settings right in the video player. Have you tried using that?

padrecito007

Hi, there are video quality settings right in the video player. Have you tried using that?

Good morning.
Of course I can manually set the resolution to 720p.
The problem is that the guests in the family do not do that manually, seeing the intermittent video; they close emby without trying anything else. Later they say the program that makes video server at home, it does not work. they leave with a bad expectation.

Good would be that the option profiles / video Quality is saved for example in 720p. and that when reloading the Emby page on another computer, it is at 720p.

Or else too. in the Emby server configuration create a Video Quality Auto option: 720p - 1mbps, 720p - 2mbps, 480p - 1mbps, etc.

Thanks for your reply.

5b460b6dcf117_playback.jpg
Edited by padrecito007