Emby Premier problem

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

Lightning struck my dsl modem and we are going to be without internet for about 5 days. Lucky for my wife and kids, I am a computer geek who setup emby just for times like this!! I brag about it'll be fine, you've got me. Go to turn on emby, and it says I have to pay for a subscription to watch it on our tablet or Xbox.

I'm thinking, of course I pay for a subscription! Who doesn't?? So I go and check my dashboard and it says my key is invalid :( I assume this is because emby can't check the license servers if it's valid or not :( and I'm also guessing that's why when I attempt to open the app on Android, Xbox, or even the webpage, it takes about 30-60 seconds before the page will display. Because it's trying to contact the licensing servers and waits until it times out.

Is there anything I can do? A bit embarrassed that I have been bragging that I have got it covered in times like this then find out the one thing I thought worked without internet doesn't :( This was suppose to be my internet outage backup plan in times like this :( does the lifetime subscription have the same problem?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Darkstyrm
  • Like 1

mastrmind11

Lightning struck my dsl modem and we are going to be without internet for about 5 days. Lucky for my wife and kids, I am a computer geek who setup emby just for times like this!! I brag about it'll be fine, you've got me. Go to turn on emby, and it says I have to pay for a subscription to watch it on our tablet or Xbox.

I'm thinking, of course I pay for a subscription! Who doesn't?? So I fo and check my dashboard and it says my key is invalid :( I assume this is because emby can't check the license servers if it's valid or not :( and I'm also guessing that's why when I attempt to open the app on Android, Xbox, or even the webpage, it takes about 30-60 seconds before the page will display. Because it's trying to contact the licensing servers and waits until it times out.

Is there anything I can? A bit of an embarrassment here bragging then finding out the one thing I thought worked without internet doesn't :( This was suppose to be my internet outage backup plan in times like this :( does the lifetime subscription have the same problem?

it's only a validation, so turn your phone into a mobile hotspot, connect your emby server using the hotspot, validate, and you're good for another couple weeks.

AxelAxel3

That would be great, but emby is in a hyperv VM, on a HP server. So not really sure how I could do that.

AxelAxel3

Oh wait... I have a wireless USB adapter. I might can work with that.. more to come. But ideally, there should be a solution for this. Also, would the lifetime license have the same issue?

Hi.  How long has your internet been out?  The server should be caching a successful check for at least a week...

AxelAxel3

It's been out for a few days now. Not sure of the exact count. Just decided to try it yesterday and didn't wait long enough to see what was wrong with it. Today I dug into it a little and just found the problem. I am trying to put a USB wireless adapter to the server and create a new virtual switch and add it to the VM, but if I remember right, Windows Server does not come with wireless drivers built in, and ironically has to be downloaded. I am rebooting the server now because it was giving an error when trying to install the drivers. My guess is, it's not going to work.

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

And I'm really hoping reconnecting my server with all of it's VM to the internet doesn't make my data go over. Seems like a lot of work and worry for something so simple :(

• Like 1

AxelAxel3

Could it be because I haven't opened the Xbox emby app in months? Is the validations stored for each client vs just the server saying yep it's valid.

I installed the Xbox app for only when the Chromecasts doesn't work. Haven't really had to use it till now.

And still never got an answer of if the lifetime license would have the same issue.

This has been so annoying for me :( the MAIN reason I use emby is just for outages like this. Is there anyway I can work around this in the future?

• Like 1

Yes that would be the reason, and yes lifetime will have a longer caching period. I apologize for the disruption, but we do have to validate occasionally. Thanks !

b0dyr0ck2006

The op situation is precisely why the callback is ridiculous. This needs to end immediately for paid users. Telling a customer that he can’t use the software he paid for without connecting to the internet is shocking, advising him to connect his system to his phone for the callback is beyond unbelievable. You call this service?

You can set a local check with encryption for the key and add an end date to it, therefore removing any need to connect to the internet until your subscription runs out. Which I think more people would be happy about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guest asrequested

I do think a better solution should be found. At the least there should be month's grace period. That would line up the monthly subscriptions. Just have it call in every 4 weeks, for all licences. 

AxelAxel3

So I've had a little more time to test since I went two weeks wintout internet thanks to FedEx delaying my new modem and Windstream doing almost nothing about it, then when it finally did show up, it was just a return label for the old one and not a new modem (the tech drove a new out here for me finally).

The Emby server still knew it was premium, the tablet kinna knew, it would freak out sometimes while the kids was watching it and say it needed an active subscription and other times it would work fine. The Xbox app however hasn't been opened for months on end so it never worked. I was pretty disappointed here because it was planned when I installed it to be my alternate when Chromecast stopped working/internet outage. Needless to say I spent hours over the last two weeks trying to come up with work arounds for Windstream or at least emby.

In my opinion, on top the what everyone else is saying, Emby server should maintain the license and have an extra period without internet (especially when it comes to the lifetime license, I don't see why it would need to check or at least have a grave period of less than 6 months to a year) and it itself should be able to activate all connected emby apps WITHOUT internet so this doesn't happen to other people.

It sucks so bad paying very good money for Windstream, paying for emby every single month, waiting on FedEx, and spending HOURS trying to at least find a work around for emby when you are paying good money to all these services and just be told by Windstream that the modem will show up when it shows up and being told by emby's creator sorry about your luck and that's just the way it works.

I feel like I got screwed over by the companies that I pay every single month on time to provide me services. Emby was meant to be my contingency plan in the even the internet died and Netflix/YouTube/Hulu didn't work. My kids begged me every night for a show, and if they forgot to charge the tablet while I was at work or if the tablet decided it wasn't emby priemer that night (like it did various nights), they just had to go without a show.

So I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Thanks for your response and support.