Supported Subtitle Font?

negativzeroe

negativzeroe

Tried searching wiki and forum but wasn't able to find anything about this.

What fonts does Emby support? For example when I adjust the font name in subtitle edit for some parts in some movies (Non-English translation in LOTR trilogy for example), it does nothing when playing back in emby. Since I have the actual Elvish over top of the English I would like to differentiate between them visibly. What options do I have?

Srt is just plain text. The only thing you're going to get with that is the device default font.

negativzeroe

Srt is just plain text. The only thing you're going to get with that is the device default font.

Ok I've got no problem converting, what else does it recognize? what formats does emby see differing font changes and what are they?

They were .ass but it literally showed the font tag in the subs. "<font face="Palatino Linotype">Hold positions!"

Edited by negativzeroe

Generally speaking this isn't going to work. We haven't really tested this sort of thing.

For one, at the very least it would require the font to be installed on the devices that you're playing with, as well as the server when transcoding is used.

But even then we haven't looked at this at all so I think most of the time you'll end up with a default font.

negativzeroe

Gotcha, ok that's cool. I've seen subs that I've downloaded that have various colors though for HI subs, any restrictions there? Or bolding?

Edited by negativzeroe

I think those colors will be respected when burning them in with transcoding, but when the subtitles are played directly in client apps then I would expect support will vary. They're not going to work in the web apps, but on something like the android and iOS store apps that have more robust video players, they may work.