Next up returning to first position after playing

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I have been away for Emby for a while due to the loss of the computer it was runnibg on and the fact that I had a Plex server of a different computer that works OK. I have now restored operating to the Emby server and got everything working again and noticed what I believe is a changed behavior on my Shield TV.

This is what I am seeing:

I open Emby

I go to "Next Up"

I navigate to an item at the 7th position and press play and the item plays

After completion the next episode is advanced to and I am taken to the first position in "Next up" with the next episode of  same show that I just played selected.That is my position in Next Up has been reset to the first position in "Next UP" even though I was at the seventh.

What I think should happen is that the show should be moved to the first position exactly as it is but my position should be at the seventh position with the episode that was in the sixth position and is now in the seventh ready to play.

Is this what the app is supposed to do?

Is there a setting somewhere that can make the app do what I think it should?

If this is a new behavior is there some way to get it changed back?

Sorry if this is answered already but I could not find the answer. I plead old brain syndrome.

I don't believe that behavior has been changed.  When you return, you end up on the same item (series) you were on when you left.  That seems more consistent with what most would expect to me...

maegibbons

I think that the issue is *sometimes* it does not stay where it was bur returns to the 1st position if I am reading the OP correctly.

I have noticed this occasionally on both "Next UP" and "Recordings" especially when i have just deleted content.

I will try and replicate and post app logs

Krs

Mark

Gilgamesh_48

I don't believe that behavior has been changed.  When you return, you end up on the same item (series) you were on when you left.  That seems more consistent with what most would expect to me...

That is not the behavior I want nor is it what I would expect nor is it what I remember from when I last used Emby. But I will admit I used Emby on my Rokus mostly and not on my Shield TV.

I like to use "Next up" (Called "On Deck" in Plex) as kind of a rotating queue. That is lets say the first 10 items are series I am interested in:

Pos 01- Ser 01

Pos 02- Ser 02

Pos 03- Ser 03

Pos 04- Ser 04

Pos 05- Ser 05

Pos 06- Ser 06

Pos 07- Ser 07

Pos 09- Ser 08

Pos 10- Ser 10 <- where I start watching

I want to watch all those series in the form where I watch one episode from one series then an episode form the next and so on.

The way I have been able to do that in the past was go to position 10 and watch that episode and the the show advanced to the next episode and moved to position 1 and all the other episodes advanced on position and the selected episode was at position 10.

After watching one episode we should have:

Pos 01- Ser 10

Pos 02- Ser 01

Pos 03- Ser 02

Pos 04- Ser 03

Pos 05- Ser 04

Pos 06- Ser 05

Pos 07- Ser 06

Pos 09- Ser 07

Pos 10- Ser 08

Pos 10 - Ser 09 <-- This is where the selection remains

But we actuall see this:

Pos 01- Ser 10 <-- The selection moves here

Pos 02- Ser 01

Pos 03- Ser 02

Pos 04- Ser 03

Pos 05- Ser 04

Pos 06- Ser 05

Pos 07- Ser 06

Pos 09- Ser 07

Pos 10- Ser 08

Pos 10 - Ser 09

That means that to watch Ser 09 I have to arrow all the way over to the 10th position before I can watch what is next in the order I want.

I can see the logic in having the same series selected after playback but I think Plex actually has the best of both systems. The way they do it is after playback completes you are in a post play screen where the next episode of the just played series is ready to play but if you press back one time you are returned to their "On Deck" at the position you in when you started playing, just like my preferred functionality shows.

At first I did not like the post play system Plex used by Plex but after using it I realized that it made playing from On Deck easier and allowed those that wanted to play a bunch of episodes (binge watch) from the same series to do what they want and those of us that want to watch a bunch of different shows in rotation to both have what they want.

I will, later today, fire up Emby on my Roku and see if it has the same behavior as my Shield. I know it worked the way I like before my hiatus from Emby.

BTW I am glad to be back as here the developers at least listen and respond.

EDIT: I checked on my Roku and it uses Next Up the way I want. There is a difference between the way Next Up behaves on a Roku and on on a Shield TV.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

EDIT: I checked on my Roku and it uses Next Up the way I want. There is a difference between the way Next Up behaves on a Roku and on on a Shield TV.

Okay, then that would probably be due to a difference in behavior on the two different platforms when a list is re-loaded.  We aren't doing anything special here but, I think if I try to force a different behavior in Android TV I think at least half the people will be upset :).

Gilgamesh_48

Okay, then that would probably be due to a difference in behavior on the two different platforms when a list is re-loaded.  We aren't doing anything special here but, I think if I try to force a different behavior in Android TV I think at least half the people will be upset :).

I really want to use my Shield TV for Emby but I do not think I can adapt to the current behavior. However I do have a properly, for me, device for playback so I guess I cannot complain too much.

I think I will try the Kodi Emby addon. Maybe I will like it better. Now if I can only get it to work, the last time I tried I could not even get it started. But that is fodder for another thread.

CBers

You only have to watch 1s of an episode at the end of the Next Up row and it moves to Pos 01. This really does your head in when you press play for the wrong episode.

It's been like this for ages, but I've never gotten round to reporting it.

You get used to it after a while :)