No Subtitles

Mopar_Mudder

Mopar_Mudder

I have recently switched to making mkv's of BluRay instead of a folder structure because mkv is suppose to be more compatible with Emby. I use DVDFab to make them. Problem is Emby will not show any subtitles, even forced ones. I have say 3 different subtiles streams to choose from in Theater but none of them show any sub titles. Any idea what it wrong?

Mopar_Mudder

I just tried playing Black Panther that list 3 subtitle stream. Hitting pause and picking any of them gets no subtitles. I tried picking one in the detail screen before hitting play and then I had no audio either. Log is attached.

Subtitles do seem to work on my older folder format rips, it is the new MKV ones that don't, something DVDFab is doing?

Guest asrequested

In the web app, go to the movie and scroll down. You'll see the details section. can you post a screenshot of that. And are you using passthrough, or are you transcoding in DVDfab?

Happy2Play

And no logs were attached.

Mopar_Mudder

Here is the details, and I am ussing passthrough. Something I have never gotten to work is forced subs either. I attached the dvdfab settings also.

post-1116-0-53757500-1530750167_thumb.png

post-1116-0-54480800-1530750309_thumb.png

Guest asrequested

Try running it through mkvtoolnix, in case there are some remux errors. And I would suggest using that for remuxing media, instead of DVDfab. Just use DVDfab if you need to transcode the media. 

Mopar_Mudder

Well I downloaded it to take a look. By the looks of it you can't open a BluRay disc directly? Not sure what you want me to do with it.

Guest asrequested

You can either remux the file that DVDfab made, or if you look in BR directory, you'll find that the movie file is simply the biggest file in the folder. I think it's the stream folder. Then you just load that file in mkvtoolnix, select the options you want, and remux the file to mkv.

Mopar_Mudder

Tells me it is not a supported format, M2TS file. I am guessing I would have to by AnyDVD again to make it work? Also would be a pain for movies with multiple stream and not just one big one.

Guest asrequested

Odd, I've done it in the past. OK, so just remux the DVDfab file. That's ostensibly the same thing.

PenkethBoy

Not sure MKVToolNix can read an encrypted Blu-ray disk directly

Better to use MakeMKV to get your files off the blu-ray then use MKVToolNix to remove any unwanted tracks etc

If you want to change the codec etc then use handbrake

Mopar_Mudder

When I rip it to the disc I only take the main movie and English subs, that is the file I have on my HD, not the entire disc. I thought you wanted me to start fresh since the subs don't work in the file I have on my HD.

Guest asrequested

There's some confusion here. What I was suggesting is that there may have been some errors in the rip/remux, and running that rip/remux through mkvtoolnix might correct it.

Are they compressed pgs? I think that's a new thing now and it's possible our included version of mpv doesn't support that.

Mopar_Mudder

Are they compressed pgs? I think that's a new thing now and it's possible our included version of mpv doesn't support that.

How can I tell if they are compressed?

To be honest i'm not sure. Perhaps check with Dvdfab and see if they are doing that.

Mopar_Mudder

Ok I recopied it from the disc with DVDfab to a M2TS file and then ran that through MKVToolNix and I can pick and see the subtitles now. But it still does not automatically play a forced title, you have to guess which on it is and turn it on.

Guest asrequested

They are PGS subs. You can mark the track as forced in mkvtoolnix, but then the whole track will play. With PGS, the forced subs are tagged within the rest of the text. mpv can select to play only the tagged forced text, if you put this in your mpv.conf

sub-forced-only
Edited by Doofus