Run as Service without NSSM

ecs0set

ecs0set

Hi,

Is there a reason that Emby will no longer run as a standard Windows service?  I understand that the recommendation is to use NSSM, however despite the alleged benefits, I'd rather not because:

1. I don't see why it's necessary.
  2. It's more software to install on a server, which means more maintenance.  The last thing I CBA with is MORE software that requires manual maintenance.
  3. It presents another potential security risk, especially given that it accepts the Emby service account and password
  4. As its own documentation states "Bugs in nssm can cause severe issues such as excessive CPU usage, memory exhaustion, data loss and even bluescreens."
  5. Neither the title "Non-sucking service manager" or the website suggest it is the product of a professional software house.

"EmbyService -service" works fine when run interactively under the service account, and it used to work fine before the executable was renamed from mediabrowser.  However running "EmbyService -service" as a plain Windows service just dies and I don't believe there is anything posted to the server logs.

Are we mandated to use NSSM for some reason?

Thanks,

Ian.

Hi, i agree that the name of the application is not ideal, but it has been around for a long time and does work.

The reason you can't just do embyserver -service is because the executable no longer has a windows service embedded. 

ecs0set

Hi, i agree that the name of the application is not ideal, but it has been around for a long time and does work.

The reason you can't just do embyserver -service is because the executable no longer has a windows service embedded. 

OK, thanks for the info.  I guess it will have to be NSSM.

As a future feature request, please can you consider adding back in the functionality for the Windows version of Emby Server to run as a service?  IMHO, I don't see the sense of Emby Server (or any server software) requiring an interactive session.  If I recall from my programmer days, the hooks for running as a windows service are pretty simple.

Also, I might have missed something but it was not clear from the quick scan of the community announcement that there were breaking changes in this version of Emby Server.  Might be something to alert users to when downloading.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

When this change happened 10 months ago there were dozens of topic.

ecs0set

When this change happened 10 months ago there were dozens of topic.

That's another issue!  My Emby dashboard has been quite happily telling me that the server is "up to date" when it was not.  Equally, my WindowsServiceUpdater powershell script (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27941-windows-service-updater/) does not appear to be erroring but did not update to the latest version.

Happy2Play

Back then there was the change from net framework to net core, but you still should have seen updates via dashboard.  The only requirement back then was a manual update.

• 5 months later...

I would also like to see this feature brought back, I use Emby to watch most of the shows when I am away from home on business trips as these can be for long periods, if Microsoft decides to reboot due to windows updates, the server will not run until I log in remotely (which can be problematic at times).

I would also like to see this feature brought back, I use Emby to watch most of the shows when I am away from home on business trips as these can be for long periods, if Microsoft decides to reboot due to windows updates, the server will not run until I log in remotely (which can be problematic at times).

Hi there, have you seen our instructions on how to setup a windows service?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50992-how-to-run-emby-server-as-a-windows-service/