Authentication based on IP address for very large user base

fathibn

fathibn

Hi,

I am trying to setup an infotainement system on board for our railway company. I have chosen Emby and made two pocs, the last of which in presence of our CEO, a governor, a mayor and a pool of journalists. All have appreciated to watch movies on board of trains. We are still looking for a sponsor, whom could enforce another media software but for now we are going to continue to use, and try to adapt, Emby.

Manually creating accounts for 41 million passengers a year, so several million unique passengers, is not an option.

What i am thinking of is:

1) assign lengthy dhcp leases to each device,

2) Have in some way Emby use ISC dhcp or dnsmasq lease file as its authentication backend without a need for a password filed,

3) Have Emby transparently authenticate users based on their IP address without requesting any username/password. It's ISC dhpc/dnsmasq responsibility to assign the same ip address to the same device.

4) Have Emby automatically delete/expunge accounts after a predefined expiration period if the user doesn't authenticate in that predefined period.

So my feature request is: Have Emby use dhcp.lease file as a backend authentication and transparently authenticate users based on their ip address with an autodelete account after an expiration period if no new connection happens in that period.

We could also think of an auto-enrollement/self account creation feature if user wants to save his watch history and preferences accross devices and trains; but this needs to have an anonymous transparent (no authentication) account for those who do not need to register their preferences.

TIA