Sony TV - Android - Emby App - can't arrow right to setup

vaise

vaise

Note sure if this is the correct place for this - it is android emby app - but on a sony TV

A mate overseas has installed the emby app from the app store on his 75" the sony TV.  Model number 75W855C.  Android 7 I believe.

He has entered the server and the port to connect to my system on the app, but he cant move the cursor right to select OK - he is on the cancel button and the right arrow on the remote is not moving right he says.

Any ideas ?

vaise

Hi Luke,  Thanks for the quick reply.

He says it is 'Emby for Android TV'.

vaise

I have emailed to ask him, but that surely must have been tried......

Guest asrequested

I wonder if he's talking about after you enter the IP, you see the cancel an ok buttons? If so, you can't get to them. Just go all the way to the right of the keyboard, and press the enter button. 

I find that screen confusing. If you can't arrow up to them, why are they there? It's like that on all the pages where you enter passwords and such. There's an OK button or something, but you can't get to them, and just have to go over to press enter, again.

I wonder if he's talking about after you enter the IP, you see the cancel an ok buttons? If so, you can't get to them. Just go all the way to the right of the keyboard, and press the enter button. 

I find that screen confusing. If you can't arrow up to them, why are they there? It's like that on all the pages where you enter passwords and such. There's an OK button or something, but you can't get to them, and just have to go over to press enter, again.

Those are standard Android dialogs.  However, I can navigate them.  Perhaps this is just an issue with focus indication in the dialog...?

Guest asrequested

When I get to the dialog that has the keyboard on the bottom of the screen and the box you fill in, above it, 'cancel' is highlighted. But how do you navigate up from the keyboard to select 'ok'? If it can be done, it's counter intuitive. I hit point of frustration very quickly and just pressed enter. To my way of thinking, what should happen is once the fields have been filled and you press enter for the last entry, and it's time to press ok, the keyboard should drop away and you are automatically placed on the 'cancel or 'ok' buttons.

vaise

Yep - enter on the keyboard fixes this - I think it needs a re-design there.

mastrmind11

fwiw, I always have to hit the back/cancel button once I enter login/pw on my sony atv.  The standard OK button always kicks me out.  Havent tried in a few releases mainly because I can't be bothered doing it over again each iteration.   ymmv

Like I said, this is standard Android stuff and I agree - it doesn't work very intuitively.

The back button is what takes you from the keyboard back to the dialog.

vaise

He says it is sorted, the enter key on the keyboard was the fix.  

So I guess that means Android doesn't allow modifications to that process?

There may be but it is different in every version of Android.  They love changing these standard items with each release so we are just using the default functionality.

The Fire handles it much better (because it has been on a stable, older version of Android).

Guest asrequested

There may be but it is different in every version of Android. They love changing these standard items with each release so we are just using the default functionality.

The Fire handles it much better (because it has been on a stable, older version of Android).

Well, the enter button seems to be an easy alternative.

• 4 weeks later...
lvanhelden

Just found this post after I had given up on the Android TV app because I couldn't hit "OK".  I went and setup on Roku instead, which btw found the Emby server without even having to set anything up (no IP or server name).  Anyway, I went back to my Sony Android TV and tried to do what is described here, and yes after leaving the "port" field I could "back" out of the keyboard and choose between "OK" and "Cancel".  Not that it made any difference; after hitting OK it returned me back to the previous screen.  Nothing changed, still not working on Android TV, luckily for my I have a Roku to fall back on.  

mastrmind11

Just found this post after I had given up on the Android TV app because I couldn't hit "OK".  I went and setup on Roku instead, which btw found the Emby server without even having to set anything up (no IP or server name).  Anyway, I went back to my Sony Android TV and tried to do what is described here, and yes after leaving the "port" field I could "back" out of the keyboard and choose between "OK" and "Cancel".  Not that it made any difference; after hitting OK it returned me back to the previous screen.  Nothing changed, still not working on Android TV, luckily for my I have a Roku to fall back on.  

when that happens, in my experience it means you messed up the server credentials. when i add the credentials properly, it pops right up.  I've installed emby on 3 Sony ATVs at this point, and they all exhibit the same behavior.

Have you configured a password for your user on your Emby Server? If you haven't, then that's one reason why you might not be prompted.

lvanhelden

I had configured a user and setup a pw.  Since I was getting much different behavior than you described, I uninstalled the Emby Android and reinstalled it.  This time it worked fine; after I entered the server IP address, I was taken to a screen I had not seen before where I could pick the user and enter the pw.  So it works OK now.  Thanks for your help.

Since I was getting much different behavior than you described, I uninstalled the Emby Android and reinstalled it. 

Since you were already signed in, the app was just auto-logging back into the previous session. You could have also just signed out. Glad you figured it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 year later...

@@ebr I'm just posting an update here as I visited this user 6 months ago and got it working, then I just came here again and forgot what I did and had to figure it out again.   

I have manual logins set remotely.  There is no 'enter' on the onscreen keyboard on this TV.

The process on this TV is to :

1 - Enter the username, then click next to the right of the onscreen keyboard (you now cant get to the top with the ok and it is stuck on cancel (hence the issue) - so stuck on cancel

2 - Now - press back on the sony remote which closes the keyboard and allows you to go back to the top screen with the cancel and ok.  You can now press right to select the ok button, then press ok on remote to do the 'ok'.

3 - Next, the password will show - repeat the above process for the password.

The important thing to remember (as i will forget this again) is the back on the remote to get to the top screen.