Latest FFmpeg broke Nvenc

roberto188

roberto188

Just and FYI, FFmpeg 4.0 included in the latest update broke the Nvenc encoding at least for my Quatro K2000. I reinstalled a 3.x build without issue. Just an FYI.

roberto188

I upgraded to the new version and the new 4.X ffmpeg and my transcodes kept failing and falling back to CPU. I toggled the NVENC settings one and off a couple of times, but the transcoder kept throwing and error and falling back to CPU transcoding. Maybe because the Quatrro K2000 is such and old card 4.X stopped supporting it? I don't know enough about it, I just know when I replaced the 4.X ffmpeg with and older version 3.X  hardware transcoding worked again.

Waldonnis

I think that's related to the driver version.  If the driver is too old, it won't support some of the changes nVidia may have made to the API (and header file used by ffmpeg).  If you're using an older driver, you can try to upgrade it to a current release (try a R390 release or above, if available) and see if that helps.  If not and you have the latest, you may have to stick with the older ffmpeg until a new driver is released or compile ffmpeg 4.0 with the older nVidia header (pain in the rump).  It's probably not a big deal to keep using a <4.0 ffmpeg for a bit, so if it works for you and you don't run into other problems, I'd just keep using it while keeping tabs on driver releases.

roberto188

Ok cool. Thanks. Yeah I'm not having any issues with the older FFmpeg. I'll also see if there is a driver update. Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...