Where is the convert option? Transcode while recording gone?

snorkel

snorkel

I have not looked at my server in awhile and noticed the live tv recordings looked bad on one of my anroid tv boxes and it was because it apparently can't do mpeg2 decoding and everything looks jagged.

Anyways there used to be this option to convert the recordings on the fly to a friendly format which worked perfectly on my server for months and now it's gone.

So I see there is this new "convert" option so I go and right click on a recording and no convert in the menu?

Does this convert option only work on certain clients?

Why did you get rid of the transcode while recording option?  My server has 8 cores and I never had a problem with that it just worked.  now it's gone...

My server is on the latest 3.4.1 release from May by the way and it auto updated to this.

Edited by snorkel

Hi, it wasn't removed on account of horsepower, but more so because the files it produced did not always reliably work across a broad range of video players and devices. In addition it came with drawbacks, didn't support subtitles, didn't support secondary audio, didn't support watching while recording.

The convert feature is something you use on the server to convert the file to a streaming friendly format ahead of time.

Try using the web app and browse to the detail screen of a video file, then click the 3-dot menu. You should see Convert in there. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

snorkel

Hi Luke,

O logged on with firefox

And no concert in the ... menu of any

Videos. I cleared the cache on the browser as well, no go.

Check the permissions for your emby user, you may have previously denied them access to the convert feature. thanks.

snorkel

Luke, my user has that permission enabled.

I just rebooted the server for kicks.  don't know why it's not showing up. Also tried in chrome, no convert menu option.

snorkel

The server says my web client version is: 

Chrome
Emby Mobile 3.4.1.21

It it because the server version and client are not the same?

snorkel

Well, I updated the server to the latest beta so it's the same version as the emby mobile client, but still no convert option.

I tried right clicking on a individual video and still nothing.  Going to give up for tonight getting tired LOL

bflagg

I'm running 3.4.1.0 and using IE on the emby server I can see convert...
Chrome config / extension issue??

I think he's using our online web app, at http://app.emby.media

That has some changes that are a little ahead of his server release and that's probably why he doesn't see it yet. With his local web app he should see it.

What you're doing is fine and normally there will not be much difference between the two. This is just one of those rare cases where it matters. Thanks.

snorkel

Luke, I hate to tell you this, but I am using the local interface on my server:

http://192.168.1.157:8096/web/index.html#!/list.html?parentId=79a2726d3c50e769a8af1e4184e4fccf&serverId=b67268a8ec0f456f89135b97e00ef52d

There is not convert option.

When you go to the server dashboard it reports the active device as:

Firefox
Emby Mobile 3.4.1.21

So when I use the web interface I am indeed using the local web interface.

Did you check the permissions for your emby user? Can you show a screenshot of that? Thanks.

snorkel

Yes, I checked the permission of my user and it has that option checked, I even unchecked and checked it several times.

Does it only work on Windows servers?  I am using Ubuntu.

I can attach a screen shot later, at work now.

• 2 weeks later...
snorkel

Sorry was out of town on vacation.

Double checked and the single user I have setup does have the convert permission checked.  I still don't see the option anywhere when I use the web client.

5b410caa5df4a_Capture.png

Happy2Play

@@Luke it would appear that Convert only appears if you enable "Allow media download and syncing" also..

Edited by Happy2Play

snorkel

Ok, it's there if I also enable "Allow media download and syncing"

Thanks Happy2Play :-)

snorkel

Just a FYI, I don't like this convert thing.   Any chance you could bring back the transcode on the fly as a option?

Even though you cold not seek while it was recording it was done immediately after the recording was done and then seek etc worked great.

I can tell you we rarely watch a recording that is in progress.

This new convert is slower than pond water, I had new content record last night and it has never converted, the scheduled task is at 25% finished.

I selected the convert all new content for my recording folder as I don't want to have to do it for every recording.

Also after setting the convert on a object, when you go back the prior settings are not shown, it just defaults back. 

Not trying to be difficult but the old option was superior and just saying Plex does have that option.

snorkel

My local news recorded last night and it still has not converted it, the server dashboard shows it at 2.3%.

Not sure what's going on with this but it's not working well at all.

Also I don't see any log entries for the convert option in the server dashboard, it would be beneficial to know what it's currently doing.

Can you please attach the emby server log? Also if you go into the server dashboard -> Download & Sync -> Settings, you can enable full speed conversion and it should go much faster next time.