AVC files problem

aahmyu
Go to solution Solved by Waldonnis,

aahmyu

Hello, I'm having issues playing this file on Shield. It plays fine on android phone and pc but i try to play it on shield nothing happens

5b32a4c43863f_Capture.png

Im not sure why its trying to transcode on shield while it play directly on phone. Also in the state for nerds it says its x264 direct. 

Btw this issue is happening with all the season episode not just this one.

ffmpeg.txt

Monogatari - 1x02 - Hitagi Crab - Part 2.mkv.txt

server.txt

• Solution
Waldonnis

Looks like the Shield is reporting that it doesn't support h.264 Hi10P aka "High 10" (only "high|main|baseline|constrained" according to the reason lines in the log).  This isn't too surprising, as there aren't many devices that can handle 10-bit h.264 in hardware...if any (I'm not aware of any offhand, personally).  A quick browse of the nVidia forums indicates that the app is right and the Shield doesn't support it natively.

Kodi, VLC, or other external players can probably pull it off, but I've never tried it and it would probably be a software decode rather than hardware-assisted.  Hi10p is extremely rare outside of anime circles, so manufacturers probably figured it was better to sink the licensing/hardware money into HEVC Main10 decoding instead.

• Like 1