codec related issue using LAV?

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I rebuilt my Win7 htpc and while I'm currently using WMC rather than MBT, I installed MBT as the means to getting codecs set up. For the most part it works fine but I ran into a file that won't play in WMC, yet it will play in Windows Media Player. Looking at the task manager, I see that WMP is running in 32 bit mode either way, so it doesn't seem to be a 32 bit vs 64 bit codec issue. The video does play in MB Android. I don't have MBT installed at the moment so I haven't tried that.

The file is an avi container and the video is xvid mpeg-4.

I've also tried using WMC to play it without using MB (added the file into my WMC video library and tried playing it through the WMC videos section), and that didn't work either. So I know it's not a problem with MBC, but I'm hoping someone here might have a clue as to what's going on, or at least how to troubleshoot it.

FWIW the video played fine prior to rebuilding my htpc, but I wasn't using LAV.

TheShanMan

I know it is, but it appears to use WMP to play the video, and the task manager reports that to be 32 bit.

TheShanMan

Are you suggesting that 32 bit WMP would be using 64 bit codecs? Like I said, I installed MBT as the means to get codecs. I don't know if that installs 32 bit, 64 bit, or both. If it only installs 32 bit, and for some reason 32 bit WMP would sometimes use 64 bit codecs, then that must be my answer, but it would seem odd to me if it does. And FWIW, the codecs installed by MBT have enabled the playing of most of my other videos.

MBT is a 32bit app so I'm sure it only installed the 32bit codecs.  Please try installing the 64bit ones as I'm pretty sure that's what 64bit WMC wants.  This is one of the reasons all my HTPCs are 32bit.  No hassles with this.

TheShanMan

I just tried and even after a reboot, the problem persists. That's what I expected because 64 bit WMC uses 32 bit WMP. The strange thing is 32 bit standalone WMP works, but 32 bit WMP controlled by WMC doesn't.

I guess I'll have to install a different codec pack. Thanks for trying to help!

danswan

64bit windows comes with both 32 and 64bit versions of wmp. MBC uses the 64bit version. Try testing in windows media player 64 bit (found in c:\program files rather than program files (x86)) - this will give you the same results as MPC.

Edited by danswan

TheShanMan

I'll give that a try, but I'm telling you, task manager (actually to be more precise, process monitor from sysinternals) reports that the instance of WMP that WMC launches is 32 bit. Thanks for the idea.