Stereo Source really bad audio

ewalkersc

ewalkersc

This may not be Emby related, but I was hoping for some suggestions for troubleshooting if nothing else.  I am running on a Shield box connected via HDMI to my ONKYO receiver.  When I play a source that is AAC stereo, the audio is very low and when I turn it up all the way to hear it there is a bunch of white noise too.  Multichannel files on the same system work fine.  The same stereo files play fine on other Emby clients, XBOX, android tablet, PC web browser.  I'm sure this just started in the last month, but don't know exactly when as I've just narrowed it down to stereo files.

I am running server version 3.4.1.0 on a QNAP NAS.

Perhaps the Shield is direct playing them while the other apps are transcoding (and, thus, altering the audio).  Is that the case?

ewalkersc

They all say direct play.  Even if it was transcoding, it wouldn't be doing anything to the audio since it's already stereo, right?

My understanding is for AAC, the shield is decoding the audio and send the audio to the receiver in PCM format.  For AAC stereo, the Shield can send a PCM 2 channels or upmix to 5.1.  ideally, you want your receiver to do the upmix, not the Shield.

I don't know why you experience this issue, but I have some suggestions to try to see if it helps.  In Shield settings, display and audio, advance.  Make sure that stereo upmix is disable.  Also make sure the fixed audio is enable.  If it doesn't help, try different settings in that menu to see if it changes anything.

Also, did you try to play it in another player on the Shield like VLC?

Also, if you connect the Shield directly to your TV and bypass your receiver, do you still have this issue?  (Just to make sure that the problem doesn't come from your receiver)

Edited by rouq

Oh.... wait.  I think I know what it is.

When this happens, try using the Shield remote volume slider to increase the volume...