Specialized libraries that combines recorded and ripped content?

hstamas

hstamas

I have three Emby libraries right now:

TV Shows = ripped content

Movies = ripped content

Recorded TV = Emby/TV tuner content

Using Kodi/Emby for Kodi, and it’s smartplaylists it’s really easy to break out my content for my family into the following sections:

Home & Garden

Cartoons

Prime Time

This works great but I wanted to start playing with Emby Theater and can’t figure out any way to replicate this sort of setup. The goal being to have these specific sections presented on the main home screen.

I assume more specific libraries is what I’m looking for?

I know I can set up my storage drives folder structure to mirror what I want above and add these folders as separate libraries but my biggest issue is recorded TV. For space reasons, I have all my recorded TV going to a separate drive from my main storage drives and the fact that recorded shows are all dumped into a single folder, how would I get those shows into the separated libraries?

Let’s use cartoons as my example. How would I get all my cartoons from both ripped content and recorded content into a single Emby library? Do I add each individual shows folder as a source when setting up the library? That would be somting like 15 folders in my case. Is this acceptable practice?

I see screenshots from other users with very specific libraries like “kids movies”, “marvel movies” etc. but how would I do the same thing with tv shows combining ripped and recorded content?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi, for Emby apps such as Emby Theater you'd have to re-organize your library folders. Smart playlists are something we plan to add in the future. Thanks.

hstamas

Hi, for Emby apps such as Emby Theater you'd have to re-organize your library folders. Smart playlists are something we plan to add in the future. Thanks.

Yep, I realize that @@Luke but how about, for instance, getting cartoons into a single library when the content is not only on the main storage drive in a folder named “cartoons” but also in the generic download location for Emby's recorded TV shows?

Is it bad practice to add individual show folders to a library? I would have to do something like this unless there is a better way?:

Cartoon Library:

C:/ Ripped Cartoons/

D:/ Recorded TV/The Simpson’s/

D:/ Recorded TV/Family Guy/

D:/ Recorded TV/Rick & Morty/

D:/ Recorded TV/Mickey Mouse/

Etc.

And I didn’t even consider for the recorded stuff I will basically have duplicate entries in both the auto generated Recorded TV library and the Cartoon library that I created. Will that cause problems?

Edited by hstamas

hstamas

And I can’t do like I show in the example? Just add all the folders into the library regardless of where they reside? Will that break anything or slow down the server?

You could do this:

C:/ Ripped Cartoons/
D:/ Recorded TV/The Simpson’s/
D:/ Recorded TV/Family Guy/
D:/ Recorded TV/Rick & Morty/
D:/ Recorded TV/Mickey Mouse/
Etc.

But not if you already have another library using those folders, or using a parent of those folders, like D:/ Recorded TV for instance.

hstamas

Yeah I just tried doing a test Cartoon library with those 4 Recorded TV folders thrown in it and Emby doesn't recognize any content.

Wound this be because they already exist in the recorded TV library or is it because they are in there as a root folders? Since its recorded TV, I cannot have them go into a sub folder that I can add to cover all 4. I have to do each one individually hence the issue.

hstamas

What would happen if I just remove/delete the recorded TV library from Emby and just added the recorded folders to the new Cartoons library I create? Will Emby's recording engine insist on having recorded TV as a auto generated library?

hstamas

Give it a try.

I’ll play around with that this weekend and report back just in case anyone else out there is in the same sort of situation I’m in.

I’m curious how others handle their Emby recorded TV content to integrate it into their libraries?

@@Luke. Any idea if deleting the recorded tv library will screw up my future recordings?