1.0.7 displaying time as GMT instead of local region

Paul77nz

Paul77nz

Regardless of what timezone I set my LG C8 TV to, the time within the Emby app is always displayed as GMT.

My Emby server is definitely set to the correct time zone, and the correct time is displayed in other Emby apps (e.g. Xbox One app).

Thanks

Yes this is a platform defect, and unfortunately may force us to not show the time at all in the app. thanks.

Paul77nz

Yes this is a platform defect, and unfortunately may force us to not show the time at all in the app. thanks.

Thanks @@Luke. That's a shame. Hopefully they fix the defect, but if not I guess it makes sense to just remove the time altogether - I'd rather it was not there at all than to be there but the wrong timezone.

Paul77nz

@@Luke I just just updated the firmware on my LG C8 to 03.00.90 (which took it to webOS TV version 4.0.0-16218) and Emby is now showing the time in my local region (I'm in New Zealand and it is correctly displaying GMT+12).

Interestingly, regardless of what timezone my TV and Emby server are set to, Emby now ALWAYS shows it in the local timezone. So I'm not sure how the Emby app is determining the timezone, but for now it is working.

Thanks

Edited by Paul77nz

• 5 months later...
Paul77nz

@@Luke @@SamES OK, this is interesting...

I have purchased a 2nd LG C8 OLED. Both are running firmware 4.10.15 (WebOS 4.1.0-5608) and Emby app 1.0.9.

Both are set to New Zealand as the location, both have the time set automatically, and both have timezone set to GMT +13.

Emby on the first TV (the one mentioned in my previous post) continues to display the time correctly as GMT +13, but the new one displays it as GMT (so 13 hours out).

These TVs are both on the same LAN, receive their addresses from the same DHCP server, and are serviced by the same DNS server.

Even with a platform defect, it seems very strange that I should get different results on two televisions running identical firmware and software.

Where does the Emby app pull it's timezone information from? There must be some explanation as to why Emby on one TV knows what timezone it is in and the other one doesn't.

Thanks

It does seem strange.

We don't pull timezone info from anywhere. We use a standard JavaScript to get the current date and then display it as text.

Can you try the online web app on both and see how that compares?

http://tv.emby.media

Paul77nz

It does seem strange.

We don't pull timezone info from anywhere. We use a standard JavaScript to get the current date and then display it as text.

Can you try the online web app on both and see how that compares?

http://tv.emby.media

@@Luke both TVs show the correct time (GMT +13) in the online web app (skipping the PIN and connecting directly to the local IP of the server).

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Paul77nz

@@Luke I noticed just now that the newer TV that was showing GMT is now correctly showing the local timezone.

TV is still running 4.10.15 (WebOS 4.1.0-5608) and Emby app 1.0.9, and I didn't reset the TV or reinstall the app. It just fixed itself.

As described earlier in the thread, my other TV initially showed GMT as well but then started correctly showing local time. I thought this first TV corrected itself after a firmware update, but now I'm wondering if that's just when I happened to notice it.

I have no explanation at all, but it seems as if it just eventually "figures it out" on it's own. Not very scientific, but I now have two C8 OLEDS that are correctly showing local time.

I wonder if others who reported the same issue have found that the problem just resolved itself?

For this reason I would request you don't remove the time from the app (as you had previously said you might be forced to do) as I think it's possible that it might resolve itself for everyone on it's own if left long enough.

Edited by Paul77nz

shrouski

When mine shows incorrectly, I go into the time menu settings, then Emby updates to the proper time. It only hasn't once and a power cycle sorted it.

Paul77nz

When mine shows incorrectly, I go into the time menu settings, then Emby updates to the proper time. It only hasn't once and a power cycle sorted it.

@@shrouski The TV's time settings? I never had any luck with that, with mine nothing I did helped but they just came right on their own after a while and appear to be staying that way.

Out of curiosity, what model is your TV (also firmware & WebOS version if you know)?

Edited by Paul77nz

shrouski

@@shrouski The TV's time settings? I never had any luck with that, with mine nothing I did helped but they just came right on their own after a while and appear to be staying that way.

Out of curiosity, what model is your TV (also firmware & WebOS version if you know)?

B7V running the latest European/UK firmware, 05.80.15. For some reason the WebOS version has dissappeared with this firmware under About this TV... So I'm not sure of WebOS version. It will be 3.x anyway, the 2017 models don't support WebOS 4.