Optimal Performance for Windows (EmbyServer SYSTEM + MEDIA drive separation)

TheArchivist

TheArchivist

I just wanted to share that I recently migrated the Emby Server (Standalone) 'system' and 'programdata' folders from the MEDIA drive to the SYSTEM drive on a Windows Server 2016 (Standard) installation.

The server has a SYSTEM drive which is SATA III SSD and a USB connected RAID5 array.

I was seeing ~ 11 MB/s on the Array with Emby running from it (as a Windows Service) - the array now performs at 120 MB/s.  Also, the overall response/page-load time on the Web UI is significantly faster.  I was also having some Service crashes and HTTP/S web-server freezes.

For any IT Admins out there, this is commensurate with the results of running a SQL Server (separating the system, temp, and data drives) in an optimal performance configuration.

Just my two cents in the hopes of helping others if they are seeing slow, lagging, or unreliable performance with their Server -- this resolved it for me.  The throughput on the array specifications (per the manufacturer) is  150 MB/s and the SYSTEM drive is listed at 635 MB/s.  Notably, RAID5 arrays are great for reading but slow at writing.  I imagine this played a part too.

Edited by TheArchivist