Play Live TV Recordings with Subtitles?

samuelqwe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

samuelqwe

Hi, I would like to know if it was possible to play recordings with their embedded subtitles on iOS? This is something that would be great to have, as this works very well on Apple TV. I’d love to watch with subtitles on my iPad.

samuelqwe

Hi, yes, you should already be able to do this.

I have no options to use subtitles, yet they show up on Apple TV automatically. They are contained in the stream while recording, but I think other video players other than the Apple TV one don't see it at all.

EDIT: VLC on my phone is able to use the subtitles in the .ts recording, but when I attempted to convert, using Emby's convert feature, to a mobile compatible file, the subtitles are lost in conversion.

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

Here is a link to a .ts recording containing subtitles. It plays back fine on my Apple TV, but there are no subtitles on any other platforms I have tried, unless I watch using VLC.

http://bit.ly/recordingwithsubs

And here is the server log of when I was watching the video on my iPhone.

Log.txt

Hi, you're running a beta server. If you're going to run pre-release testing versions it is paramount that you stay on the latest. Please update to the latest version and then let's re-evaluate. Thanks.

samuelqwe

It appears I am, but this is the version that installs on my LibreELEC installation. Will downgrading from a beta to a stable cause any issues?

samuelqwe

Okay, I will wait for a stable release and send back the logs at that point. I may be able to upgrade to the latest beta though, would that work?

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

Okay, so I first played the video on iOS, and there were no subtitles. Then, I tried the same video file on Apple TV, and the subtitles worked just fine.

So here is the log with the latest beta of Emby Server: Log2.txt

And the video with the embedded subtitles is at the same link as before: http://bit.ly/recordingwithsubs

Can you provide a copy of the media info from the web app detail screen? thanks.

samuelqwe

I've attached an image with the full media info, and as you can see it does not detect any subtitles. Btw, I record from an m3u playlist, so that's maybe why recording subtitles might be a little wonky.

post-285745-0-07559900-1529533480_thumb.jpg

Edited by samuelqwe

Ok yes that's a problem then. Most likely what is happening with apple tv is they are in fact being detected by the apple video player and therefore displayed automatically. But it appears they weren't' detected by ffmpeg and that is why Emby server is not aware of them. What is the source of the live stream?

samuelqwe

I just had a thought. Maybe the subtitles are labelled as closed captions, and since Emby doesn’t support those, it doesn’t show up as an option. But another player like VLC can read them, because it supports closed captions.

• Solution

Yea that is probably it. We still have a little bit of work to do regarding closed captions. thanks.

• Like 1

samuelqwe

Yea that is probably it. We still have a little bit of work to do regarding closed captions. thanks.

So it is planned for the future? If so, that’s great. I know ffmpeg could be able with CCExtractor to extract closed captions as subtitles, so I’ll try to make something work with that... or I’ll use VLC on iOS. Edited by samuelqwe

Yes it is planned for the future, and ccextractor is what we're planning on. thanks.