Blurays of TV series

superloopy

superloopy

I'm a MB novice so here's a noob question. I've got bluray boxset of Dexter Season1. What are my options here in setting this up in MB? I can obviously rip it to a full bluray folder but would i be able to 'see' the episode content via MB? Or do i need to rip each episode out although doing it that way loses the disc menus and extras. I'm confused! Whats the best way to handle these boxsets and extract the most info from them. I'd prefer to retain bkuray format if possible and not have to convert them.

Edited by superloopy

gcw07

I personally rip them to individual episodes. No conversions or anything so they are still full quality, but split it out to episode 1, 2, 3, etc. Works better then ripping a whole disc. Especially if you wish to play them back on other devices such as phones, tablets, etc. 

superloopy

Thanks for quick reply. How do you rip each individual episode? What format do you use and what packages?

JayAre

You can rename the bluray folders to MB3 multi-episode naming structure.  If you use MPC-HC, it will play the multi-episode bluray folder continuously.  There are some bluray TV series that will only play one episode in the bluray disc folder with MPC-HC.  To play all the episodes or if you prefer bluray menus, you can tag them as 3d to force playback in TMT5 as workaround.  I'm assuming you are using MBC and TMT5 configured as the default 3d player in the MBC configurator.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/926-roc-theme-support/?p=78307

Edited by JayAre

gcw07

Jay's method will work if your only playback method is from a PC. If you plan to ever play them back on a phone, tablet, smart tv, dlna device, roku, etc., then I definitely would recommend individual episodes.

As for how. I use MakeMKV for it. It will give you a list of individual videos on each disc and allow you to make a mkv of each file.

JayAre

Jay's method will work if your only playback method is from a PC. If you plan to ever play them back on a phone, tablet, smart tv, dlna device, roku, etc., then I definitely would recommend individual episodes.

As for how. I use MakeMKV for it. It will give you a list of individual videos on each disc and allow you to make a mkv of each file.

It does play in WP8 client, but playback is an issue with some bluray TV series which only plays one episode, such as Game of Thrones.  Homeland plays perfectly in WP8 though.  I  do agree, remuxing each episode with MakeMKV is a better method.

superloopy

I'm using TMT6 so if i rip to folder am i able to select episodes at all? I cant/dont use mkv as my soundcard (Xonar AV slim 1.3) doesnt bitstream to MPC-HC I believe only TMT.

Edited by superloopy

gcw07

Never used TMT so somebody with knowledge will have to answer that. It doesn't have to be MKV's that you create. Just individual files. They can be mp4's, mkv's, avi's, whatever you wanted to make. Obviously MakeMKV just makes mkv's, but there are other programs out there.

JayAre

I'm using TMT6 so if i rip to folder am i able to select episodes at all? I cant/dont use mkv as my soundcard diesnt bitstream to MPC-HC only TMT.

Yes, it will show as multi-episode in MBC and play back just like any bluray folder.

533842af171c3_got.jpg

533847523cf24_got1.jpg

Edited by JayAre

superloopy

Wow! Didnt think that could be achieved. So that's a bluray folder rip, yes? Whats the MB3 folder structure needed to achueve that? How is the folder able to give up episode details if it is just reading fron a full bluray folder? And .. i see you have more than one series there, how is that setup folder wise?

JayAre

Wow! Didnt think that could be achieved. So that's a bluray folder rip, yes? Whats the MB3 folder structure needed to achueve that? How is the folder able to give up episode details if it is just reading fron a full bluray folder? And .. i see you have more than one series there, how is that setup folder wise?

Yes bluray folder rip, MBS will fetch the episode metadata from the bluray folder name.

From another discussion.  Any MB3 recommended naming structure should work.  But, I use below MB3 naming convention:

Have you tried naming Disk 1-3 folders to MB3 multi-episode naming structure?  I have several TV series bluray folders, I just rename them:

Season 1

TV Series Title 1x01x03 Ep Title 1, Ep Title 2, Ep Title 3 (Disk 1 folder)

BDMV

CERTIFICATE

TV Series Title 1x04x06 Ep Title 4, Ep Title 5, Ep Title 6 (Disk 2 folder)
BDMV
CERTIFICATE
TV Series Title 1x07x09 Ep Title 7, Ep Title 8, Ep Title 9 (Disk 3 folder)
BDMV
CERTIFICATE

MB3 fetches correct metadata with no issues.

Some TV series bluray folders does not play all the episodes using MPC-HC.  As a work around, I just mark them as 3d folders with [fsbs], to play in TMT5 which support bluray menu's.  For example Game of Thrones:

Game Of Thrones

Season 1

TV Series Title 1x01x03 Ep Title 1, Ep Title 2, Ep Title 3 [fsbs] (Disk 1 folder)

BDMV

CERTIFICATE

TV Series Title 1x04x06 Ep Title 4, Ep Title 5, Ep Title 6 [fsbs] (Disk 2 folder)
BDMV
CERTIFICATE
TV Series Title 1x07x09 Ep Title 7, Ep Title 8, Ep Title 9 [fsbs] (Disk 3 folder)
BDMV
CERTIFICATE

I wish I can just mark them with [tmt5] tags to force playback in TMT5 and avoid 3d icons showing for these episodes.

Edited by JayAre

superloopy

Thanks guys for all the replies ... making sense now.

Can i just ask that where the folder standard requires an episode TITLE what goes there?

Is it the ACTUAL full episode name or the generic folder name, in my case eg 'DEXTER SERIES 1 EPISODE 1'?

JayAre

You don't actually need the episode title, I just prefer having them.  Just make sure the TV series title is an exact match in TVDB website wih the correct season number and episode number.

If you prefer having episode title, use the TVDB website.

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=79349&lid=7

Dexter

Season 1

Dexter 1x01x03 Dexter, Crocodile, Popping Cherries

BDMV

CERTIFICATE

Edited by JayAre

gcw07

Just to make it clear. That method will work for MBC and MB Theater and maybe even the Windows 8 app. It will attempt it on others, but folder rip support is experimental at best, so it might not work on other platforms in the future.

superloopy

Thanks.

I'm trying to stick with MBT but it isn't happening using that structure. When I setup Dexter 1x01x03 Dexter, Crocodile, Popping Cherries for example I just get offerred up one episode line containing all three titles as per the episode details which when 'Play'ed just throws me to the menu structure of the disk where I have to select all over again. I understood it that I at least would have had each episode detailed individually? Maybe i'm not understanding this correctly or Dexter is one of those discs (ala GOT) which just doesnt play 'episodes' and needs to be stripped down to bare files? If so then i'm unlucky to pick that one as my first attempt!

Edited by superloopy

gcw07

No what your seeing is what you will get doing the folder method. Basically it just would list multiple episodes as one. So the episode names would all appear like:

1-3 - Dexter, Crocodile, Popping Cherries

4-5 - Let's Give the Boy a Hand, Love American Style

superloopy

So it's not possible to get individual episodes metadata showing  and select just the one episode at a time when the folder contains /bdmv of, lets say disc 1, which itself  contains 5 episodes? You MUST split them into individaul episodes and save each episode to its own file to e able to select individual episodes?

One2Go

One of the reasons why I use BD menus is the selection of individual episodes from the playback software and the menu that way you only need the disc description in MB and let the TMT do the rest.

Marc_G

I recommend trying MakeMKV. I started with it years back and never looked back. Rip all the episodes, name them "Dexter S01E03.mkv" or whatever and MB3 takes care of the rest. The only challenge is that you'll need to identify the order of the episodes (I look at a second or two of each episode, a few minutes in, and line it up with the episodes as played by TMT. Just takes a few minutes, really).

• 2 weeks later...
TrackZ

What happens if the disc episode order is off from the TVdb order? So, for examples, episodes 1 and 5 are on disc 1, but episodes 2, 3, and 4 are on disc 2? It looks like the naming conventions are built entirely round ranges.

Koleckai Silvestri

What happens if the disc episode order is off from the TVdb order? So, for examples, episodes 1 and 5 are on disc 1, but episodes 2, 3, and 4 are on disc 2? It looks like the naming conventions are built entirely round ranges.

I put each episode in its own file.