Help with server and sleep

c0m3r

c0m3r

Hi guys, im looking for a bit of help with my server setup. Now I have a server which holds all my media and also runs things like mediabrowser server, media center master, utorrent, sabnzbd etc. for the fully automated setup. To save power, the server is set to sleep (S3) after 20 minutes of inactivity. I have a main PC in the office, a HTPC in the living room and various smart TVs all connected through Cat5e cables so no wireless is used.

Now, whilst the main PC and the HTPC work fine and prevent the server sleeping when in use and wake it when it does sleep, when playing network files through the TV's the server goes to sleep after 20 minutes. Now I know I could have the server on 24/7, I would rather not. Any help on getting the server to prevent idling to sleep in this scenario would be appreciated.

AdrianW

One thing to check - have you got the "When sharing media: Prevent idling to sleep" set?

j9lQrhm.png

c0m3r

You could look in to Lights Out http://www.homeserversoftware.com/ it can monitor network traffic and keep server active :)

Thanks for the link. Installed the trial so will have a play.

One thing to check - have you got the "When sharing media: Prevent idling to sleep" set?

j9lQrhm.png

I have that set already so thought that would have done it but unfortunately not.

snazy2000

I've been using it for few days on trial and its pretty amazing program.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

c0m3r

I've been using it for few days on trial and its pretty amazing program.

Yes seems to be a very good tool and it does solve the problem however does alot that I dont think I require and was hoping for something that didnt involve a further cost. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

snazy2000

Yeah I know what you mean I've been looking for. Free version that does the same type of stuff

• 1 year later...

Old thread but I need help to save power with server.  I see Lights-Out software goes from full featured to "Community Edition" after 30 days.  Does this limited feature set still do what is needed to wake server up when remote users call up the Emby server?  Any of you that have Lights Out software after 30 day trial, I am interested to see if it still worked for you.  Thanks.

c0m3r

I played with a number of options but never found one that worked perfectly so in the end i bought a hp microserver which is on 24/7. As for the community edition, i dont know but would depend on your intended usage. Its likely that some of the advanced functions will require the paid edition.