A question about NTFS in Fedora 28 Linux

Arkieboy72472

Arkieboy72472

So, I installed Emby in Fedora. I followed the instructions and everything. I used the backup add-in app thing and it worked fine. I then changed the folder locations to where they are now but I have a question/issue. My Media folder is in a NTFS drive that I have to Auto Mount upon startup. I am still learning so bear with me.

1) How do I make emby a startup program? If Linux has services, is it better to make it a service or is having it a startup program ok?

2) I am seeing that Emby can read the contents of the Media folder on the NTFS drive ok, but what if I want to write or add to it? Since I use the GNOME Disks program, is there something I can add to the drives entry to give myself ownership or write abilities?

3) Since fedora 28 makes it very difficult to assign a root password, how do I tell if I am in the admin group and that Emby has the rights it needs, if any. I think things are square, but I am a little shaky on users and groups and permissions.

I have read that it is impossible to change ownership of NTFS drives.

For the record, I have to keep the drive NTFS for now. The only other backup is on the Windows side as a storage space. I can't change the format of the drive for now. I am in the process of using BackBlaze for a cloud backup.

So, just to cover everything, I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 and Fedora 28. Both Emby Servers work fine. I am still ironing out the wrinkles on the Linux side. The only hangup is that the Media folder is formatted in NTFS.

If yall have links written in plain speak or are written for non-experts, I would love to read them. Every Emby installation guide out there either skims over or skips at least one part of the process or assumes a knowledge base that not everyone has. Writing guides is a lost art.

Arkieboy72472

Also please note that I read the permissions guide and added what it told me to. I am not sure if my questions are covered or if they matter. I’m still learning. Thanks!

Arkieboy72472

I think I figured how to make it a startup program. I guess my question is better framed at what point in the boot process do they start? Can anything start pre-login?

mastrmind11

If you're just learning, can I ask why you chose Fedora?

Regarding permissions, you need to set permissions when you mount the drive, so edit your fstab file to include the proper permissions.  Tons of examples on the google.

As far as determining groups, etc, type 'groups' or 'users'  to see which groups or users you belong to.  Also, you want to stear clear of doing anything as root, especially if you're still learning the OS.  Linux is not a very forgiving place to be, and as root user you can royally **** yourself in multiple ways.  There is really nothing you need to do to get this working as root user.  

Arkieboy72472

I chose fedora because I am familiar with it. I took a Linux class in college and though we used an old version of opensuse mate, I liked the way Gnome looked. It reminds me of OS X. I made myself use fedora for a few months back in 2016 to try something new. I sometimes say I’m new because I forget how to do easy things I should know.

I used gnome disks to do my editing like you said and we will see how that works.