Cannot Play Any Videos

Van Gogh
Go to solution Solved by Van Gogh,

Van Gogh

I'm new to Media Browser, but a longtime WMC user.  I have a decent-sized movie library (about 200 movies) mostly ripped Blu-rays in MKV format, but there are some SD quality AVI movies as well.  The native Movie Library functionality in WMC (Windows 7 Ultimate) has been struggling with keeping this many movies indexed, so there's always a substantial wait when accessing the library, so I thought I'd give Media Browser a try.  Note that I have never had any problems actually playing these movies in Media Center, I'm just tired of waiting for the library to load every time I want to select a movie.

I loaded the Media Browser Server and Media Browser Classic plug-in on the same machine and successfully went through scanning the media library for all metadata and images.  The WMC plug-in runs and looks great, but every time I try to play any of the movies, I get the generic message from WMC that it can't access the file.  I've done enough reading to know that this is typically caused by a codec issue, so I started by upgrading Shark007, which has been working fine on this machine for the last couple of years.  No change.  I uninstalled Shark007 and installed the LAV filter and the xy-vsfilter using the guide on thehtpc.net.  Still no change in Media Browser (but I could no longer play these files using the native Media Center player either at this point).  I then uninstalled the LAV filter and went back to Shark007.  Everything is back to where I started - I can play all of the movie files using Media Center from the native Movie Library menu item, it's just slow to load all of the movie images in the library view.  Media Browser still will not play anything.  When I open any of the movie files in GraphStudioNext, they appear normal and show that they are using the LAV video and audio filters.  I forgot to mention that all of the movies are stored on a NAS and Media Browser Server is configured to look at the UNC for the files.  The folder structure is very standard and there is no security on any of the file structure.

Any assistance would be truly appreciated.  I really like the look of Media Browser and would like to use it.

Van Gogh

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check, but I'm pretty certain that the shares were done correctly on the NAS (there's just not that many options).  Maybe as a test, I'll copy a few movies to the local drive, set them up, and then see if they will play.

• Solution
Van Gogh

To provide an update, this has been resolved.  When I copied a movie to the local disk and then included in the library, it played just fine, so it was not a codec issue.  I created a new share on the NAS, copied a new movie in that folder, added it to the library, and it played fine, so it was not a UNC path issue.  Through further tests and a process of elimination, I found the issue was that each of my movie folders had another folder within it called VIDEO_TS.  The reason that this folder was put there was for a metadata tool that I had used in the past called DVD Library Manager.  It was just one of the quirks of this application that required this folder for it to work.  So, as near as I can figure, when Media Browser saw this folder, it expected the movie to be a DVD (and it even displayed the DVD icon in the detail view - I just didn't put it all together right away), but with no actual files in the VIDEO_TS folder, it produced a general file access error.  Removing the VIDEO_TS folder fixed everything and all movies now not only play, but thay all also display all of the appropriate icons in detail view.

Unlikely that anyone else would have this same issue, but it never hurts to have these one-offs documented.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by Van Gogh
  • Like 1