VA API HW Transcode stopped working after upgrading to DSM 6.2

hakkero
Go to solution Solved by rouq,

hakkero

Seems like the Synology DSM 6.2 upgrade broke the VA API HW Transcode on my Emby server version 3.4.1.0. CPU cycles are up in the 90% range.

I have attached one of the ffmpeg log files.

Log.txt

Edited by hakkero

• Solution

Hi

Check if emby user is still in the video group. I had this problem once with similar output logs and that was it.

• Like 1

Yea if you look at the ffmpeg log it appears to not have access to the video render node, so that could be it.

• Like 1

hakkero

Including embysvr user into the video group seems to have fixed the error. Thank you.

Incidentally, when I tried to restart Emby server package, Synology DSM kept failing to run the package; I had to uninstall Emby completely and reinstall. Upon installation, embysvr user was created by the install package but was not included in the video group. The installer package for Synology DS918+ might be misconfigured.

EDIT:

The vaapi error is gone but CPU cycles are still high at 90% for 1 transcode stream. New log attached.

Log.txt

Edited by hakkero

Including embysvr user into the video group seems to have fixed the error. Thank you.

Incidentally, when I tried to restart Emby server package, Synology DSM kept failing to run the package; I had to uninstall Emby completely and reinstall. Upon installation, embysvr user was created by the install package but was not included in the video group. The installer package for Synology DS918+ might be misconfigured.

EDIT:

The vaapi error is gone but CPU cycles are still high at 90% for 1 transcode stream. New log attached.

This is a complex example. This one has to burn in subtitles which is always expensive. Can you try a different example when there are no .ass subtitles involved? thanks.

hakkero

I re-enabled "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" in transcode settings and CPU is back down to more reasonable levels. Thank you.