iOS Download - Custom convert broken using 1Mbps

adrianwi

adrianwi

Just noticed the Download button when I was playing with emby on my iPad so thought I'd see if I could load it up with kids films for my daughter when we go on any long journey.

I did just one to start with, setting the conversion to the lowest level (1.5Mbps I think) and it all seemed to work perfectly. Thought I'd go through and try and set a few up, expecting it to take some time.

The conversion seems to have worked well for quite a few of the films, but the transfer appears to have stalled? These were all queued up about 4 hours ago. Am I just being impatient, or has something gone wrong?

I can upload a log file, but the server.txt file is over 70MB and I'll need to anonymise before uploading.

The screenshot below shows current situation.

5b22d6414bc27_ScreenShot20180614at214619

Edited by adrianwi

Hi, the progress % is currently not accurate and it's something we need to improve. For now my suggestion would be to just check on it later from within the iOS app.

adrianwi

I ended up stopping one of the transfers (Brave) and leaving it overnight after which time it had completed all of the converting and had transfer another couple of files, but was still left with 5 files to transfer.  I guess it's still 'work in progress', but having some indication of what it's doing is pretty fundamental.

I think the default conversion values should be a lot lower too, as the converted files are still pretty big.  I suspect the most common use case is transferring files onto handheld devices for use where there is no internet connection?  I used this functionality on Plex and had no problem with around 35-40 files on my 64GB iPad (which probably has about 25% used for other things).  There are 9 files transferred from emby and it's using almost 30GB, so I'll be lucky to get half of what I could with Plex.   

Update:

I've played with this a little more this morning, and doing files one at a time seems to work much better.  I've converted and transferred 2 files in about 30 minutes.  The progress thing definitely requires some work, and the download/downloading button need to show something like Downloaded for local content.  Convert progress seems to work quite well, but on the Download & Sync screen there is no Transfer progress.  What actually happens is the screen flashes when the transfer is complete and displays a "No downloads found..." message, even though the transfer has completed.  Clicking off and back shows the full list of local files.

The lowest default convert number I could use was 1 (Mbps) and it would be nice to set this lower (0.5 or 0.75).

Edited by adrianwi

adrianwi

I stopped the transfer by deleting the file from the Download & Sync screen and then downloading again on the iOS app.

After spending some time downloading and transferring files one by one, which seemed to work quite well although takes between 15-45 minutes, I now have a much bigger issue in that the local files on the iPad just won't play and crash the iOS app after 10-20 seconds.

I'm trying this with wi-fi switched off (as it would be if I were on a car journey) so not sure how I provide a log file as it's not connecting to the server?

adrianwi

Is the iOS download functionality also dependant on the version of iOS?

I was going to test different conversion settings on my iPhone as I have more space to play with, but don't see the Download button.

Only thing I can see that's different is the version of iOS.  iPad is up to date on 11.4 where the iPhone is running 10.1.1.

legallink

I stopped the transfer by deleting the file from the Download & Sync screen and then downloading again on the iOS app.

After spending some time downloading and transferring files one by one, which seemed to work quite well although takes between 15-45 minutes, I now have a much bigger issue in that the local files on the iPad just won't play and crash the iOS app after 10-20 seconds.

I'm trying this with wi-fi switched off (as it would be if I were on a car journey) so not sure how I provide a log file as it's not connecting to the server?

My experience is, if you don't have a good connection to the server (for instance you are in 3G areas on your phone or worse), it is better to turn off all data and open the app.  That allows you to select "My Downloads" from the login screen.  I don't know if that is exactly what you are trouble shooting here, but you shouldn't need to log into the server.

adrianwi

Thanks!  My iPad is wi-fi only, so once that's switched off the only option I had was My Downloads.

I've tested a little more and I think it might be down to the conversion settings, as the files I downloaded using 1.5Mbps play ok and the ones I selected Custom and 1Mbps don't!

It would be great if someone else could test this?

Cheers

Wait, your iphone is iOS 10.x? The download feature right now is only intended to be available for iOS 11+.

What's happening is the app is downloading content based on what the new video player supports, but that new video player is only used on iOS 11+. So that means your iOS 10 device is downloading media in formats it might not be able to play.

adrianwi

No, my iPad (running 11.4) which I've downloaded about 20 files to won't play most of them for more than 10-20 seconds.  I think the problem is to do with the conversion settings.  After I'd downloaded the first 5-6 using the built-in 1.5Mbps setting, I converted the rest using the Custom option and entering 1, which seemed to be the lowest value I could enter.  My daughter is more bothered about a selection of films than the quality they might be playing at!  The ones converted and transferred at Custom 1 are the ones that won't play, whereas the files at 1.5Mbps seem to work fine.

The Download button doesn't even appear on my iPhone which is still running 10.1.1 for cosmetic reasons, although I don't want to use the sync feature on that and was just trying it to test my theory above.

adrianwi

Can someone running iOS download a file using the Custom setting and value 1 and then see if it plays back when disconnected from the emby server?

Thanks

adrianwi

I've tested this the other way. I deleted the file I had converted and transferred using Custom 1 and then converted and transfer using 1.5 drop-down.

It played fine when using 1.5 but not when using Custom 1.

Dibbes

when I do this, it crashes the app (latest beta) after 4 or 5 seconds into playing the downloaded file...

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

Ekomax

Same here - used custom 1 mbps. All latest stable release!

best regards

Edited by Ekomax

adrianwi

Happy to send a server log file, but what do you want it to show?  The app isn't communicating with the server when it plays a local file.

All I did was click the Download button on a file, select the Custom setting and entering a value of 1.  The conversion completes and transfers the file to the iOS device (running 11.4).  Playback on the device starts and then the app crashes.  

It appears a few others that have tried it are having the same problem, so you should be able to reproduce?

Just please attach the one from the time that you experienced a problem. thanks.

adrianwi

I've attached an anonymized log file, but suggest just trying it.  Here's what I did:

1. restarted emby server (to keep log file size down)
  2. on ipad, clicked the download button on a collection (4 files, although it's the same on one)
  3. selected the Custom option from the Quality drop-down and then enter 1 in the Bitrate (Mbps) field
  4. waited for the conversion and file transfer to complete
  5. tried to play any of the files on the ipad, which start but then stutter a few times before the app crashes

I was watching another file on my Apple TV client whilst this was happening, which will explain the other log entries.

Log.txt

• 2 weeks later...