capture RCA input and view in Emby.

bytepoet

bytepoet

i have what normally would equate to a headend.  I have a dish that receives signal and it goes to 10 STBs.  I have each one tuned to a specific channel on the STB, then i combine the signal onto one coax.  I distribute the cableTV locally and it looks decent.

I want to capture the output of each STB  RCA and make it stream over my robust gigabit network instead. I've grabbed a USB device that lets me view the a/v output in vlc and it works great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FRGGBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How can i get this device that works in VLC as Dshow://  to show up as a capture device in emby (or any of its plugins?)

kanipek

Never tried it, but you may be able to stream the direct show to a file with VLC and the create your own M3U file pointing to those streamed files. Add an M3U tuner to Emby using that self created M3U file - not sure what you would do about a guide data solution though...not to mention probable disk space requirements, Might be possible to set a max file size and then overwrite.

FFMPEG might also work to do the same.

Interesting problem - won't be an easy solve.

Edited by kanipek

• 1 month later...
bytepoet

i did see that, thanks Mark. as per the original message, i've been able to get it working in VLC, even within the M3U.

Getting emby to recognize it was a source was difficult but i managed it, but....

i remained unsatisfied with the RCA quality and found a 4 x source HDMI to IPTV that didnt care about HDCP for 499.99 and just delivered x265 to the emby server.

solved for science sake, yet not chosen for final implementation.

I used to do something similar 10 years ago but have moved on since.

Curious, what Dish/Service are you using?

Do you rent or own the STBs?

How do you currently record shows/movies?

• 1 year later...