Roku Thumbnail Plugin Enhancements

ghostquito

ghostquito

The following would be great.

1) Set per library

2) Change time that thumbnails are grabbed. Maybe i want a thumbnail every 5m, not sure what it is now. 

3) It would be nice to see the thumbnails utilized in other clients/webgui.

• Like 2

It would be nice to see the thumbnails utilized in other clients/webgui.

Hi, yes I agree, this is something we ought to do.

Waldonnis

The following would be great.

1) Set per library

2) Change time that thumbnails are grabbed. Maybe i want a thumbnail every 5m, not sure what it is now. 

3) It would be nice to see the thumbnails utilized in other clients/webgui.

Allowing it per library rather than all-or-nothing would be lovely for me as well.  I stopped even letting it generate BIFs because I keep a test library with tons of samples that I frequently replace/shuffle, most of which are under a minute.  It's just not worth the effort or space for BIFs to be generated for those, so I use scripts that target specific library directories instead.  As for timing, every example Roku gives uses the same timing and while the official biftool has a timestamp multiplier option, I've never actually tried deviating from the 10kms (10sec) value used in their examples.  It would be an interesting experiment and I might try modifying my BIF generation scripts to see what happens.

The BIF format seems pretty straightforward (format description is here), so implementing a reader and providing the frames when scrubbing in other clients could probably be done (or better yet, teach the clients to read BIFs on their own).  I don't know of anything other than Roku that uses that file format currently, though, so it would probably be a bit of a project for the Emby team, especially if it's done on the client side.

• 1 month later...
cybergrimes

Per library setting would be great-- I don't really care if my soon to be deleted DVR recordings have Roku thumbnails.

• 1 month later...

What about an option to convert media to a format the Roku can direct play, otherwise the thumbnails are not used

Actually the thumbnails are now used for all roku playback. At least for newer Roku devices.