General usage and stability

trifleneurotic

trifleneurotic
Hello ladies and gents!

I just had some general observations regarding music/audio functionality vis-a-vis the Android app.

Quite frankly, I've had a hell of a time for quite a while, and I am curious if other people have had similar experiences? I'm using the Emby app on a relatively new Pixel 2 (previously a Samsung Galaxy) and I have been very disappointed. I've had to do the DLNA thing for a long time now.

-> Can stream one song on an album OK (whether or not I'm on my LAN), but then just spins and does nothing when trying to play the next one

(server notifications say something about media conversion failure; all of my audio content is MP3 but the bitrate may be causing issues?).

-> No UI indication regarding cached/downloaded content.

-> No bulk editing of ID3/metadata from the dashboard (although I may have missed something).

-> Funkiness (i.e. spinning and ultimately losing server connection) when I switch from WiFi to, say, 4G LTE, like when driving away from my house. It is as if I knocked the app upside the head and it won't communicate with my server anymore.

I'd like to stress that I know that I do not have specific use cases or delineated & repeatable scenarios with screenshots and logs.

Just frustration over the past several months that the Android app (Cordova?) leaves much to be desired when it comes to basic usability when it comes to audio content.

I couldn't be happier with the capabilities afforded me regarding my video content, no matter what platform I am on (Samsung Smart TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, browser, mobile). I also am using your new LDAP functionality with my OpenLDAP server. Works flawlessly.

But as far as my music is concerned, I feel I have no choice but to go back to Subsonic. It is a pity that the Emby Android app is now closed source although I am sure you had your reasons, business or otherwise. Still, I want ALL of my content under one umbrella, and I will go back to Emby in a heartbeat if the audio experience improves for the Android app.
Edited by landgazr
  • Like 1

Funkiness (i.e. spinning and ultimately losing server connection) when I switch from WiFi to, say, 4G LTE, like when driving away from my house. It is as if I knocked the app upside the head and it won't communicate with my server anymore

This will improve with the next release of the app.

No UI indication regarding cached/downloaded content.

We don't do this, you can manually download content and then it will show up in the My Downloads section.

screwfaze

I have to agree with @@landgazr that there just doesn't seem to be as much love for Music on the Emby android app. I too would love to ditch play music and just use emby but the app is just not there especially offline. Really looking forward to any improvements from the hard working emby devs.