Windows 10 HDR streaming

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

I can't believe I've missed this, previously. I think I've finally figured out why the 'Stream HDR video' is disabled. 

5b1776bb0434e_Snapshot_109.jpg

I found this. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040547

5b177724a3c32_Snapshot_108.jpg

I have an i7 7700k, so the GPU is utilized by connecting to the motherboard. My motherboard has three ports. HDMI 1.4, Displayport 1.2 and a USB-C which uses the DP over Thunderbolt 3. Can you spot my blunder? :D

I use the USB-C port, which gives a 40 Gb/s bandwidth. More than enough. But Microsoft, in all their wisdom, have decided to only allow two specific ports. :P

I've ordered an Nvidia GTX 1050. Let's see what happens....

Edited by Doofus

legallink

Good information @.  I wasn't aware of this either.

Key point is it looks like the display must be directly connected to the computer for this to matter.  I have an interface with my Apple TV, so it doesn't affect my setup.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, but there a some receivers that allow HDR pass through, now. No idea if Windows will like that, or not.

legallink

How would that work?  PC -> Receiver ->TV?  I don't think I've ever really thought of hooking up a PC to the TV, but I guess that's the nature of what most people would do with an HTPC.

My setup is PC -> Network -> Apple TV -> TV.  The PC has no display at all, it's headless.  I'm not sure if the selection you indicate is required for Emby server to push HDR anyways.  My gut is that it is for Windows Media Player, but I could be wrong. 

mastrmind11

amazes me how cheap Pioneer Elite stuff has gotten over the years.  A decade ago you wouldn't find that stuff under a couple grand.

Jdiesel

amazes me how cheap Pioneer Elite stuff has gotten over the years. A decade ago you wouldn't find that stuff under a couple grand.

That is because Pioneer AVRs are now made by Onkyo. Very cheaply made now days and not the same Pioneer as before.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

That is because Pioneer AVRs are now made by Onkyo. Very cheaply made now days and not the same Pioneer as before.

I hadn't realized that. I won't buy another one.

• 1 month later...
Guest asrequested

So I did finally figure this out. You have to jump through a few hoops. This is with an Nvidia GTX 1050. It has an HDMI 2.0 and a Displayport 1.4. The first thing is that if you're using both ports (I am), one needs to be set as primary and then you have to use extended desktop. Most will only use one port, so that won't matter. Once the primary display is configure as such and either has a direct connection to the display or the receiver can passthrough the HDR, in windows display settings there will be an option to enable the HDR. Once enabled, then you can go to the settings I've shown in the first post, and enable HDR streaming. This will likely mess up your desktop colors (too dark or too light, commonly). Then you'll have to adjust them as best you can.

In my case, I can't use this configuration. Running the display output through my receiver (even though it has 4k 60Hz 4:4:4, and does support HDR passthrough), the Nvidia GPU doesn't seem to like it. As I am only able to select 8 bit color, and the colors just aren't correct. So I run the DP 1.4 directly to the display, the HDMI to the receiver, and clone the desktop. It works, perfectly. No HDR streaming, of course, but mpv gives me a pretty decent HDR picture.

Edited by Doofus