Unable to Pause/Unpause a stream via API? [solved by proper reverse proxy setup]

Lucy23
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Lucy23
Hi everyone,

I'm terribly sorry for the following stupid and mundane issue, but I just don't seem to be able to wrap my head around it :( Probably missing something awfully obvious...

All I'm trying to do is to Pause/Unpause a running stream (in the web page) via the command line of my Linux laptop. My understanding of the API docs [0] is that I'd just need to POST a simple PlayPause request like this:

curl -w "%{http_code}\n" -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d {} "http://10.0.1.28:8096/Sessions/{Id}/Playing/PlayPause/?api_key=${EMBY_KEY}"

The command returns a 204, but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Other requests (both GET (e.g. listing the sessions) or POST (restarting the server)) do work, so I guess my code is not completely broken. However, everything towards the /Sessions/{Id}/Playing/ or /Sessions/{Id}/Command/ endpoint appears to fail. Posting a non-existing command does result in a 400 error, though. I know that's not a lot to go on, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be immensely grateful. Something as stupid as "The web player isn't capable of being remote controlled" maybe?

I'm running a slightly outdated version (3.3.1.0) from the Debian repository. There are no error messages in the log file

Thanks a lot

Lucy

Edited by Lucy23

• Solution

Well for starters it would be easier to trouble shoot this on the latest version.

But it could be something as simple as the web app lost its web socket connection and therefore cannot receive messages from the server.

• Like 1

Lucy23

Hey,

cheers for the quick reply. Of course, you were completely right and I've been looking in the totally wrong place. Turns out I misconfigured my reverse proxy. Not badly enough to make things not work in any obvious manner but just enough to screw with the web sockets :(

You wouldn't believe how much time I've wasted :( Thank you so much again. That was exactly the pointer that I needed.

Best

Lucy