Raspberry Pi as Portable Server

Volfan6415

Volfan6415

Ok so the idea is this.  Setup a raspberry pi with a "full version" of the server that can then have content "synced" to it at resolutions that would direct play on Android and iOS clients.   This way when you are traveling you can have a local copy of the emby server that the clients can connect to to stream content from. Because it is running on a raspberry pi the pi could also act as an access point for the clients to directly connect to and the pi could either be battery powered or powered via a car charger etc.

I think folder sync has the start for what i  would envision an app doing.  I have a rpi3 laying around with a 32gb card and i plan on setting up a full version of the server and then use folder sync to sync transcoded versions of my library to the pi to at least setup a proof of concept.

Edited by Volfan6415

Volfan6415

So in case anyone else find this.

I was able to set this up very easily with Noobs and rasbian.  Then installed emby for armf and set it up like normal.  Then all i had to do was setup the network card to act as an access point - I followed these instructions https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point.md#internet-sharing

But left out the bridging part. 

Then on my main emby rig i used folder sync plugin to sync to a dedicated partition that is the size of my SD card in the raspberry pi.  Then i run an rsync command on the pi to sync the folder sync folder to the pi.  All i have left to do is figure out how to get folder sync to cleanup files that are removed from the sync command.  

I also might install emby theater on the pi then i can have a portable server and media player in one box.

Edited by Volfan6415