Remember audio and subtitles selection per TV show

capitaineflam25

TurkeyMan

I mean, Emby's not particularly cheap! There are just some really basic QoL stuff that would really make it worth it's price-point. The small detail polish should be what we're paying for... otherwise we might as well use Jellyfin.

Edited by TurkeyMan

Hi. We already have user defaults for these things.  That covers 90% of cases (when taking into account all users).  This type of feature - where your default preferred language is different for a subset of items) is really an edge case.  I understand for those of you that want this, it isn't an edge case, but in the global scheme of things it is.

That's not to say that we won't get to this eventually, but it definitely figures into our priorities as we try to implement features that will benefit a very wide audience and use-case.  Especially for something like this that actually has a high cost of implementation (complexity from all sides - development, maintenance and usability).  

Thanks.

TurkeyMan

You speak as if weeb's that watch anime (or actual people that speak more than one language) are a rare 'edge case' ;)

What new features access a wide audience? I haven't seen anything new in Emby that I care about for a year or so... and there are so many really basic QoL things outstanding.

2 hours ago, TurkeyMan said:

What new features access a wide audience?

Hi.  I believe most of these do along with all performance and playback-related improvements - especially in a cost-benefit analysis.  Remember, the cost of this feature is relatively high.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.8.0.47

In the end, we have to try and balance resources against workload and benefits for the largest audience and, again, none of that means this won't happen.  In fact, I imagine, it probably will at some point.

• 2 months later...

This will be in Emby Server 4.8.

How it Works:

• This requires that you enable remembering audio and subtitle track selections. this is enabled by default.
  • The server will first check if you've previously played the video file, just like before, and if it has then it will use your previous track selections
  • If not, then it will look at your last played episode of the same series and attempt to use the same audio and subtitle selections. Essentially it will take the languages of the tracks and put these languages at the front of the language priority list.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

• 3 weeks later...
YKEmbyMedia

Was about to request such feature and surprised it wasn't implemented since 2018😲

Looking forward for server 4.8🙂

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

I'm on 4.8 and do not see this feature.

Hi, all you have do is enable the option to remember selected tracks and it will be incorporated into that.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
invader
On 18/12/2023 at 17:18, Luke said:

This will be in Emby Server 4.8.

How it Works:

• This requires that you enable remembering audio and subtitle track selections. this is enabled by default.
  • The server will first check if you've previously played the video file, just like before, and if it has then it will use your previous track selections
  • If not, then it will look at your last played episode of the same series and attempt to use the same audio and subtitle selections. Essentially it will take the languages of the tracks and put these languages at the front of the language priority list.

A few questions about this please.

I have my iPhone and Apple TV set to Always Play subtitles in the app settings.

Some TV shows I want to turn subtitles off for. I thought if I turned it off on one episode, the next episode would then also be turned off. It doesn’t seem to work though. Maybe subtitles being off isn’t a setting carried to the next episode?

I noted that you have to enable remembering audio and subtitle track selections. This is enabled on iPhone but doesn’t appear to be an option to turn on, on Apple TV.

How does this relate to subtitle mode in app settings?

The options seem to be platform dependant too:

iPhone has

Default, smart, only forced subtitles, hearing impaired, always play subtitles, no subtitles. 

Apple TV has

Default, smart, only forced subtitles, always play subtitles, no subtitles. 

thanks.

2 hours ago, invader said:

I noted that you have to enable remembering audio and subtitle track selections. This is enabled on iPhone but doesn’t appear to be an option to turn on, on Apple TV.

The options seem to be platform dependant too:

iPhone has

Default, smart, only forced subtitles, hearing impaired, always play subtitles, no subtitles. 

Apple TV has

Default, smart, only forced subtitles, always play subtitles, no subtitles. 

This preference is a user one so it carries to all devices that user uses.  You only need to set it once.  The discrepancy in the app choices are just a UI issue that needs to be addressed.

invader

Thanks. I have noticed that on Apple TV it doesn’t remember the subtitles that you chose but in iPhone it does. So I suppose the fact it’s not in the UI as you say, that it won’t work yet for that platform.

• 3 weeks later...
happytonakai

Hi. Can you make playback speed obey the same logic? Switching to 1.25x every time is a little annoying...

• Like 1