Automate PFX Certificate deployment from LetsEncrypt!

icsy7867

icsy7867

Hey guys!  I was just fiddling around with my emby server currently running on Ubuntu.  I was getting annoyed at having to convert my pem encoded certificates to a PFX format, so I made a little bash script.

pretty simple scripting, but maybe it can help others.  Keep in mind, this assumes that you have a folder called "certs" at your root, as well as a folder called "old" inside.  So you have

/certs/

and

/certs/old

The script is pretty simple and does three things ...

• moves and appends the date to your current PFX certificate called emby.pfx to a directory called old
  • Assigns variables to the correct path and converts the cert to a PFX to the directory /certs
  • restarts the emby server to load the new certificate.

A couple things to note as well...

• Make sure to chain emby.domain.com to the correct domain name
  • I am also using Ubuntu 16.04, so you may have "certbot" instead of "Letsencrypt"
  • This needs to be ran AFTER your letsencrypt/certbot renew (Can also be easily added to this script)
  • Would recommend a cronjob to run every so often
  • Make sure to create the /certs and /certs/old directories
  • Finally make sure the advanced portion of emby is set to use /certs/emby.pfx
#!/bin/bash

today=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
mv /certs/emby.pfx /certs/old/emby.$today

privkey=/etc/letsencrypt/live/emby.domain.com/privkey.pem
cert=/etc/letsencrypt/live/emby.domain.com/cert.pem
chain=/etc/letsencrypt/live/emby.domain.com/chain.pem

openssl pkcs12 -export -out /certs/emby.pfx -inkey $privkey -in $cert -certfile $chain -password pass:

service emby-server restart
Edited by icsy7867
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
chowbok

Thanks for this. It'd be cool, though, if Emby could be made to accept separate PEM files, so that this wasn't necessary.

Edited by chowbok

chowbok

By the way, I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can just drop that script in /etc/letsencrypt/renewal-hooks/post and it will automatically run whenever the cert is renewed.