Files missing when browsing via DLNA

ambrdrake

ambrdrake

Got a strange problem: when I browse my Emby video media via DLNA all .m2ts files are missing.  No such problems when using an Emby client or the web browser.

This happens with all DLNA clients I tried: a Sony BDP-S6700 Blu-ray player, an LG WebOS TV and VLC on a Windows PC.

For example, the log will have this line when I use VLC:

2018-05-24 22:12:21.991 Info UpnpContentDirectory: Profile: Generic Device, Path: \\atlas\Multimedia\Videos\Demos\BBC Motion Gallery - In Full Bloom.m2ts, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

yet this file is not in the listing.

Tried this with Emby 3.4.1.0 installed on a QNAP NAS, and running as the portable version on Windows 10.

Does anyone have an idea how I can troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ambrdrake

Hi Luke,

in this particular library, all .mkv files are listed, all .m2ts are missing.

How does Emby determine whether a file is to be offered to the DLNA client or not?

I'm trying to understand how the DLNA profile works but I'm having a hard time finding any kind of documentation to help with that...

I'm using VLC on my Windows 10 PC to diagnose the issue.  Looks like Emby is using the 'Default' profile when VLC connects. What is the role of "<ProtocolInfo>" in the profile?

I think the issue is that the TV is not showing videos it thinks it can't play.

ambrdrake

I don't think that's the case: any of the devices I mentioned list the missing files just fine if I browse to the QNAP DLNA server or Plex... but I'd rather use Emby instead. :)

Is there some filtering done by Emby before the media list is presented to the DLNA client?  If so, what setting in the profile controls that? 

Right, what I mean is that Emby Server is not displaying them in a format that the TV likes, and therefore the TV is hiding them.  That is my best guess at least. Are these devices supposed to be able to direct play the m2ts, or do they need transcoding?

ambrdrake

Makes sense.  Yes, all three (Sony BDP-S6700, LG 65B6P and VLC) can direct-play these files.  Nothing particularly special about the media:

5b15f5165a983_Screenshot201864Emby.png

Well vlc should be using the default profile, so at this point i don't have much explanation for why it wouldn't display those files. 

What device is vlc on?

I will add it to the LG profile so that it can direct play, but it's already in our sony 2016 bluray player profile.

ambrdrake

Well vlc should be using the default profile, so at this point i don't have much explanation for why it wouldn't display those files. 

What device is vlc on?

I use VLC on Windows 10 (vlc-3.0.2-win32.exe from videolan.org)

As far as I can tell, only .m2ts files are missing.  Here's a another example:

5b171ce79dde5_Screenshot201865Emby.png

Is there a place I could upload these two files for you to test?  They are ~110MB and 224MB in size.

I turned on the debug logging; would the reason why it's not listing these files show up in the logs?

Sure, if you could upload one to something like dropbox or google drive that would be great. thanks.

ambrdrake

Ok, I'll PM you the link to the first file.  Let me know if you want me to upload the second as well.

ambrdrake

Great!  Glad I could help out.

Is it a configuration issue, or does it require a code change?