Share Feature Doesn't Work

Scott310

Scott310

Hey Guys,

I tried to use the share feature on mobile it does not create the shareable link to the movie detail page.  It just share the title of the movie and the description and then says the link is undefined.

Thanks!

Scott310

I tried it multiple different ways.  I tried to share to a text message, facebook message, I even tried to share to my memo pad to see what come out.  They were all the same.

Title of movie

Description of movie

Undefined

Ok there shouldn't even be a link anymore. I'll have to see where that undefined is coming from.

Scott310

There shouldn't be a link?  What do you mean?  Then if you don't mind me asking what is the point of the share feature?

Scott310

I was trying to send a link to the movie detail page of a new movie on my server to a family member who might like it and to let them know it is now on the server.  Being able to send the movie detail page is pretty cool.  If all it does is share the the Title and description its not even really worth me going to the app to get it honestly.

To share information about the content. We don't want to become confused with a file sharing service so that is why we don't allow sharing of the actual media.

The problem we had before was that it was a very heavy feature that wasn't heavily used and this left it prone to constantly being accidentally broken. It required a database to keep track of what had been shared, then it required a process to expire those shares after X number of days, and then it required an anonymous access page similar to the regular detail screen. The share info page used a lot of code from the regular detail screen, and anytime the detail screen was updated, if we didn't make sure to go back and review the share page then the chances were high that it would have problems.

So now we've cut all that down and the sharing just works, and we never have to deal with any of the above, albeit without sharing as much as it used to. 

I think a good compromise idea would be to add some text to the bottom of the share message that will lead the user into your Emby Server, if they have proper access for it.

Scott310

Given all of that information I would agree with the steps taken.  Features like this while cool are not as important to me as emby functioning properly. Maybe in the future there could just be a path in the message that will open the person's app installed on their phone and be taken to the correct page.

Or how about something even easier? Append the IMDB link or link to the youtube trailer from the metadata to the bottom of the message. I imagine that would be sooo much easier than the previous platform. 

"Hey Check Out This New Movie On My Server"

Movie Title

Decription

IMDB Link

Edited by Scott310