Extreme cpu usage!

happyuser

happyuser

Well guys, first of all thanks for the great program! I love it! recently I have upgraded my media server, E5 2630v4 10 cores, 50gb ram, I thought it's enough to run emby, but running 2 direct play and the cpu running on 99%! Is that normal? Do I need to change the cpu?

mastrmind11

Definitely not the cpu.  What is the content you're trying to play and to what device?

happyuser

Both devices Android tv box with external player, one stream is iptv, the other one is movie (mp4) I can see both of them direct plying, that's why I don't understand why is the extreme cpu usage

mastrmind11

what's the output of htop when you're playing something?  If its direct playing, CPU usage should be close to 0%

Hi there, to reduce cpu usage, consider removing the following plugins:

2018-05-22 12:57:52.808 Info App: Loading Messages, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/Messages.dll
2018-05-22 12:57:52.808 Info App: Loading Emby.AutoOrganize, Version=1.2.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/Emby.AutoOrganize.dll
2018-05-22 12:57:52.808 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.TuneIn, Version=1.1.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/MediaBrowser.Plugins.TuneIn.dll
2018-05-22 12:57:52.808 Info App: Loading statistics, Version=2.0.4.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/Statistics.dll
2018-05-22 12:57:52.808 Info App: Loading playback_reporting, Version=1.0.13.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/playback_reporting.dll
2018-05-22 12:57:52.808 Info App: Loading IMVDb, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/IMVDb.dll

happyuser

Thanks for the quick response guys! Will try to remove the plugins! by the way, my setup should be enough even to do transcoding right?

You also have to keep in mind that you're using Emby for Kodi and this requires a syncing process that will increase resource utilization on the server.

If you would like to eliminate that, you can uninstall the kodi sync plugin as well, stop using the Emby for Kodi addon, and then switch to the newer EmbyCon addon:

https://emby.media/emby-for-kodi.html

With the new addon there's no syncing required, you just sign into your server, browse and play.

happyuser

No worries! We all humans ( except u and the team members) is any more ideas I can try to reduce the cpu usage?

I would start with that and then let's go from there. If you encounter a problem please provide new log based on the changes made.

Also keep an eye on what process is using the cpu %, for example, is it the emby server process, ffmpeg, ffprobe, etc.

Thanks.

happyuser

Will do! I will report back tomorrow! Thanks for the response and keep up the good work!

happyuser

Right guys! I have removed the plugins everything was fine till the first transcoding started! Cpu usage jumped up 95 99% straight! I have started reading about xeon cpu s so I have found some form they were testing xeon cpu s,as they say the number of cores u using is limited by the number of ram u have and how many ram slots u using ( in my case 10 cores, 6 ram slots) so if u have just 6 ram slots and 10 cores, 4 cores "fighting " to get data from the ram that's causing the problem! So I set the number of cores to 1 for transcoding and BUMM! All fine! 1080p transcoding 4 8% cpu usage!

Right this is because ffmpeg is designed to always go as fast as possible.