Using IIS or Apache web frontend?

ivoidwarranties

mediacowboy

I've been following this and what I would recommend is looking at dyn.com/dns they are awesome. Not only can you register your own domain but you can do dynamic ip with dyn.com/dns client that can be put on your server. It does cost but it is a yearly fee. All together I think it is 60 dollars a year.

Edited by mediacowboy

swhitmore

Ok, so I've got all my services working that have a url base. So far I have:

• Media Browser
  • SickBeard
  • uTorrent (redirects to /gui, and seems to work ok)
  • Sonarr

The one I'm struggling with is SABnzdb. It seem that when I use the url base /sabnzdb i get redirected to the local ip address of the server running it. I think this is an issue with SABnzdb though.

Is there a way to get this working with my router? Not sure where to start on that one.

@@swhitmore,  SABnzbd is working fine for me.

In the sabnzb config, general, web server you should have the SABnzbd host set to 0.0.0.0

It would be interesting to see what response you are receiving.  SABnzbd is actually very reverse proxy friendly

denethor

@@denethor  -  It is possible to rewrite the URLs so for example /player could map to /mediabrowser, but you're going to be in for a world of pain since you will need to create outbound rules which inspect all the content return and amend the links.  It's just adding complexity.  Why not use player.yourdomain.com?

Thanks for the followup. I dont have that kind of DNS registration. AFAIK those are not free :)

I managed to achive my question. Only problem is that I can't user mydomain.com/media instead I had to use mydomain.com/media/index.html

I think I can solve this with creating some virtual directories in IIS but could not find enought time to dig more in to it.

denethor

Ok, so I've got all my services working that have a url base. So far I have:

• Media Browser
  • SickBeard
  • uTorrent (redirects to /gui, and seems to work ok)
  • Sonarr

The one I'm struggling with is SABnzdb. It seem that when I use the url base /sabnzdb i get redirected to the local ip address of the server running it. I think this is an issue with SABnzdb though.

Is there a way to get this working with my router? Not sure where to start on that one.

Hey @@swhitmore ; could you please sent your SB regex or other settings?

I keep getting "HTTP 406 Not Acceptable " from SB WEB Server. (CherryPy) I think SB does not like IIS ProxyService as a client.

Here is the response I got form SB:

406 Not Acceptable

identity, gzip

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/volume1/@appstore/sickbeard-custom/var/SickBeard/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 657, in respond
    self.hooks.run('before_handler')
  File "/volume1/@appstore/sickbeard-custom/var/SickBeard/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 99, in run
    hook()
  File "/volume1/@appstore/sickbeard-custom/var/SickBeard/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 59, in __call__
    return self.callback(**self.kwargs)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/sickbeard-custom/var/SickBeard/cherrypy/lib/cptools.py", line 430, in trailing_slash
    raise cherrypy.HTTPRedirect(new_url, status=status or 301)
HTTPRedirect: (['http://192.168.1.11:8888/sickbeard/home/'], 301)

Edited by denethor

swhitmore

@@swhitmore,  SABnzbd is working fine for me.

In the sabnzb config, general, web server you should have the SABnzbd host set to 0.0.0.0

It would be interesting to see what response you are receiving.  SABnzbd is actually very reverse proxy friendly

I searched around and it seems this is a bug affecting some people in the past (particularly this topic). I had it set to 0.0.0.0 origionally, and I've tested several different addresses without any luck. I might try a full reinstall, but I want to try a few more things first.

Hey @@swhitmore ; could you please sent your SB regex or other settings?

I keep getting "HTTP 406 Not Acceptable " from SB WEB Server. (CherryPy) I think SB does not like IIS ProxyService as a client.

Have you added a webroot in the SB settings? I've set mine to /sickbeard. I've actually just started using sonarr instead, mainly for the torrent support. This works well with a reverse proxy (also has a setting for the webroot).

denethor

Have you added a webroot in the SB settings? I've set mine to /sickbeard. I've actually just started using sonarr instead, mainly for the torrent support. This works well with a reverse proxy (also has a setting for the webroot).

Yep. My SB homepage runs on /sickbeard/home. It is relatively old version runs on Synlogy NAS though.

swhitmore

It is relatively old version runs on Synlogy NAS though.

That could likely be the issue.

swhitmore

Hey @@anks

So I ended up buying a domain as I'm keen to get this working with everything. In the Go Daddy settings, do I just need to add this:

CName (Alias)

Host        Points To                   TTL

*            mydns.no-ip.org        1 Hour

Also where you have the first rule to validate the HTTP_HOST that contains the domain suffix, should that be mydns.no-ip.org or mydomain.com

Thanks

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

@@swhitmore.

CNAME is absolutely correct and HTTP_HOST should be mydomain.com

Let me know how you get on!

Thanks @@anks.

I can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong. With the setup below, when I navigate to http://mediabrowser.mydomain.net/ I get 

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

And in the chrome console I get see the error "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (URL Rewrite Module Error.)". I'm not sure why, but when I type anything before the .mydomain.net e.g. http://test.mydomain.net/ it loads the same page as if I navigate to http://mydns.no-ip.org

54864b673c118_Untitled.png

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

Ok, so I can get this working if I disable the first blocking rule, so something is not working with that.

swhitmore

I also create redirect rules to make accessing services easier, i.e. Media Browser is on /mediabrowser, however if only the root is requested, I have a redirect rule to take me to the right place.

Hi @@anks

Can you show me the redirect rule you used for this? Thanks.

Edit: Worked it out. Mine looks like this:

5487ae5f0494b_Capture.jpg

Edited by swhitmore

AxelAxel3

When trying to do this on my Server 2012, I get the following error:

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden
The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory.

This tells me that the rules are not setup right for some reason... Any ideas?

54887165a769f_Capture.png

Edited by alexander7567

AxelAxel3

Okay, I completely changed the rule to something else and got it to work... But when I go to play a video that I know works, it plays for 1-2 seconds and throws this error:

There was an error playing the video.

post-1176-0-22337400-1418230392_thumb.png

Edited by alexander7567

• 1 month later...
NovaBiele

@  did you ever find a solution to your problem?  I'm seeing the same behavior.  videos play for 0-3 seconds and then stop with the "There was an error playing the video" message.

AxelAxel3

No, I never did get it figured out. I spent a lot of time on it and never could figure anything out and never got a response. So I had to give up on it. But if you find an answer, please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Rewrite and/or redirect no longer works on dev version... path seems to have changed from /mediabrowser/web/.... to /web/ .... how u can still goto /mediabrowser/web and it redirects to /web/ however IIS rewrites dont work eveb tried making the changes in my rewrites to /web/ but still not working :-(

Cerothen

Great detailed post, are you using ARR 2.5 or 3? Only 3 supports Web Sockets which really needed to get the full MB experience. Have you tried remote control through the proxy and do you get realtime info?

I've been using ARR for a few years, if you need and help, let me know. You can definitely streamline your setup.

So... I finally got IIS to work as a frontend to MediaBrowser.... using the Application Request Routing (ARR) / URL Rewrite plugins.  Specifically, IIS 8.5 with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

<TRUNCATED TO MAKE POST SHORTER - SEE: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5923-using-iis-or-apache-web-frontend/#entry149166 >

That's all she wrote folks.  Let me know if that works or if you have any questions....

I have gone through and been using ARR3 for a while now and have all my services configured more or less how I want. For a while I was using just inbound rules for IIS and media browser however I have recently become more interested in using the remote functions (eg controlling the browser from the android app or perhaps VoxCommander in a recent announcement http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-171-voxcommando-integrates-media-browser/ ) However I am running into issues where if I connect using the reverse proxy connection it doesn't allow me to issue commands to that browser window. Any thoughts or advise?

Works for me, but I'm using the sub domain rewrite method.

my "free" domain name from microsoft is a sub domain (myname.remotewebaccess.com) so that method won't work for me.. anyone else got it working with subdirectory? i have/had it setup like the original guide.... (by ivoidwarranties)

Edited by Rowlett

anyone else having issue using subdirectory i.e http://mydomain.com/mediabrowser ....... need to be able to use it in places where only port 80 and 443 are allowed and i have a lot of other services running on this server that i need too... :-( looks like a roll back and stop updates until i can find a solution :-(