Dobly Digital Audio Passthrough no longer working (again).

dnastro

dnastro

I've had this problem before with passthrough of DD surround audio on my Bravia Android TV, after a recent update no DD audio of any kind can passthrough to my speakers (via optical).  Last time this happened was about 2 years ago and was fixed in a subsequent update after flagging on this message board - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36851-dolby-d-51-no-longer-passes-through-on-latest-update1222g/

Both my QNAP server and AndriodTV app are up to date.  Has anyone else been having this problem?

• Like 1

dnastro

Hi.  Whenever I play a film with AC3 audio from my sever on the AndroidTV app it doesn't show up on my receiver with the Dolby logo nor does it indicate 5.1 like it does on other apps when 5.1 DD audio is detected.  Before a recent update it would play the 5.1 dolby audio no problem, though had a similar issue a couple of years ago.

CBers

Which version of the app are you using?

Check the AUDIO setting in the ATV app.

Make sure it is on AUTO and not "Downmix to Stereo".

vangeliis

Does ARC light up on your receiver? If not you may have to power cycle your TV and receiver to get ARC working again.

dnastro

All the receiver indicates is a plain stereo output, not even Dobly encoded (even if it's 2.0, my blu-ray player and apps would show the little DD).  Audio is set to auto in the app, not downmix to stereo (though I think that is what's happening).  ARC is N/A as it's an optical connection, not HDMI.  AndroidTV app is version 1.5.90g while the QNAP app is 3.4.1.0.  This issue is isolated to the emby app, my other apps and my blu-ray player works fine without adjusting connections between TV or Player and reciever.

It sounds like your system is not reporting it supports DD.  First, check the audio settings on the Fire itself.  Then, if still a problem, please provide details on a specific example.  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

CBers

It sounds like your system is not reporting it supports DD.  First, check the audio settings on the Fire itself.  Then, if still a problem, please provide details on a specific example.  Thanks.

It's a "Bravia Android TV".

dnastro

Sent a log just now 5/30/18 11:50 EST.  User name is Dan.  Played back both Star Trek Generations switching between the 2.0 commentary track and 5.1 original without it registering the dolby.  Also played back Jurassic Park.

Your TV is reporting only stereo input capability so we are mixing it down to that.

If it should provide more than that, I would check the settings in the TV and maybe try a hard re-start of it.

dnastro

Okay, did a hard system reset.  Also re-installed the app.  Still seeing stereo audio with DD 5.1.  What was interesting was the TV apparently defaulted to PCM and when I checked Netflix the 5.1 symbol next to shows and movies disappeared, when I set it back to compressed audio pass through in the system settings the 5.1 box showed up again (just in Netflix).  It seems like other apps are able to detect pass through audio, just not emby.

raileomor

Hi, I have the same issue with mi Sony Bravia, the emby app for Android TV only give me stereo audio. Streaming via Chromecast Ultra or DNLA recognize the Dolby and DTS sound.

This is my configuration:

Emby Server 3.4.1.0 (Windows 10 PC)

TV Sony Bravia XBR-55X905F

Polk Audio System (Connected via Optical cable to TV)

Has the TV received a software update recently?

In the log that was sent, the system reported only 2 audio channels available and absolutely no support for any audio bitstreaming.

dnastro

Yes I do think an update occured, the menus have a new look, may have happened in the background or my wife did it without telling me.  Bitstream should be working for this TV for DD, does so on every other app and was working as recently as a month or so ago on Emby.

@@raileomor, I wouldn't expect the DTS to work through the TV as that is a limitation from Sony (the Bravia's do not support DTS audio, never did even when emby was supporting DD through the TV).  

raileomor

I bought the tv last weekend, is the top of brand (2018), and this are the audio spec in the manual:

HDMI:    5,1 lineal channel PCM: 32/44,1/48/88,2/96/176,4/192 kHz 16/20/24 bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS.

Optical:  2 Channel lines: 48 kHz 16bits, Dolby Digital, DTS

@@dnastro, and why if i play from DNLA has DTS audio?? 

dnastro

Ah perhaps it is a limitation of my older TV (2015).  Haven't looked at the recent specs.  Sorry for the mis information

raileomor

But I dont understand why if the log report that my system has only 2 audio channels available, in the "Stats for Nerds" the streaming info is DTS (but the Number of Channels is Unknown) and emby server dont transcoding. Sorry for my english.

But I dont understand why if the log report that my system has only 2 audio channels available, in the "Stats for Nerds" the streaming info is DTS (but the Number of Channels is Unknown) and emby server dont transcoding. Sorry for my english.

We haven't seen a log from you so we don't know exactly what your system is reporting.  If you would like to send one, please follow the instructions in the topic below.  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

raileomor

Ok and send now.

I tested using a USB 3 disk connected to TV and the DTS and Dolby audio are perfect. Sending the log. Thanks guys

raileomor

Guys!! the problem with Dolby was resolved making the HDMI ARC connection instead of Optical with my Receiver. But now the problem is with DTS. I will running a few more test, and send the logs. Thanks

dnastro

Unfortunately for me the ARC is not an option as I'm using the app directly on the TV and it does not have an HDMI out to send to the receiver.

• 1 month later...
Corydmch

I've got the same problem.  5.1 setup using sonos.  If i cast to my chromecast ultra via chrome on my server 5.1 is passed through to sonos correctly.  This issue only seems to happen when using the android tv emby app.  Oddly i have the same issue with the plex app.  Casting works fine, but android TV app is downmixed to stereo.  Other apps such as netflix for android TV pass 5.1 sound through correctly though.