Native PVR client for Kodi? Any movement forward?

hstamas

hstamas

As my "temporary" solution for DVR timeshiftimg functionality is come due for its paid renewal I though I might ask the devs including @@marcelveldt if there might be any momentum forward on getting a native PVR client for Kodi/Emby? Talked about it about a year ago stating it was on his to do list.

Any chance its coming anytime soon?

We are looking to contract someone to help us develop this. Anyone experienced with Kodi addon development can send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

pünktchen

One big problem might be, that unlike all the normal Kodi Python addons, the pvr addons are written in C++

If you guys know anyone on the Kodi forums who might be both capable and interested, please send them a link to this. Thanks !

• 2 months later...
pünktchen

@@Luke i know you have a lot of other things ongoing and it's very hard to find a C++ developer, but can't you just provide the Emby live tv channels as a m3u playlist and the guide date as a xmltv file via your api?

This way at least the Kodi users could utilize Kodi's IPTV pvr addon to watch live tv from their Emby server.

• Like 1

@@Luke i know you have a lot of other things ongoing and it's very hard to find a C++ developer, but can't you just provide the Emby live tv channels as a m3u playlist and the guide date as a xmltv file via your api?

This way at least the Kodi users could utilize Kodi's IPTV pvr addon to watch live tv from their Emby server.

That would actually be a great idea.  Not only would this work for Kodi but it could be used by other programs as well.

Heck even people who love Live Channels (Android) could remove normal sources like HDHomeRuns and instead use the Emby IPTV source.  This would then allow sharing of tuners and a consolidated (OTA, Cable, IPTV) source view that automatically updates on the clients whenever it's changed on Emby!

It would be nice to be able to setup users with whatever client they prefer in the house for Live TV and know that your tuners are still being shared.

Carlo

hstamas

This has definitely peaked my interest. Would it function just like a native PVR client? I assume you wou.d need to export something out of Emby and import it into Kodi periodically? Sorry but I’m not very well versed in how Kodi works with live TV.

A static m3u and xml tv url is something that the client app (kodi) would just re-download periodically.

maegibbons

Its an interesting concept since it opens up emby as a server to ANY current IPTV software or Hardware client.

Krs

Mark

pünktchen

Going the iptv route would not allow pvr/dvr sheduling/ recording on emby via a Kodi frontend tho would it?

No, but better than nothing. Edited by pünktchen

Vidman

No, but better than nothing.

But worse than just using the Kodi tv add-on for your tv tuner backed (as far as I'm aware there is a Kodis pvr add-on for every tuner that emby supports, the main advantage of a emby tv add-on for Kodi would be to unify recordings/scheduling)

But worse than just using the Kodi tv add-on for your tv tuner backed (as far as I'm aware there is a Kodis pvr add-on for every tuner that emby supports, the main advantage of a emby tv add-on for Kodi would be to unify recordings/scheduling)

Not if you want everything flowing through emby to use "tuner sharing".

If you setup IPTV in Kodi itself and had 2 Kodi systems (bedroom & living room) with both watching the same channel Emby would only use one tuner.  Individual setups in Kodi would use two tuners to accomplish the same thing.

You can sort of accomplish the same thing already NextPVR.  Both Kodi and Emby can use NextPVR as it's source.