Collections - Feedback and Thoughts

sparkplug188

sparkplug188
The other day, a few friends and I had a discussion about the Collection feature in Emby.  Here are a couple excerpts from that chat.  Perhaps this idea could be used to improve the collections feature.

When browsing through the Movies library you will see collections and individual movies on the same page.  I don't like that.  More specifically, I like that it groups movies, but I don't like that the grouped movies are hidden under a single title called X Collection

This is the way I would make it work:  The Movies library would contain individual movies only.  If you happen to click on a movie that is part of a collection, then the other movies in the collection would be listed with artwork on that movies page.  I would remove or hide the Collections library from the home page.

Happy2Play

You have a global option for "Group movies into collections".  Dashboard-Library-Display

You can remove Collections folder from Home Screen on a per users basis.  User icon-Home Screen

• Like 2

And the grouping setting is also off by default, so this only happened after you specifically asked for it. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I don't know how large your collection is but once you get over 500 or so movies you may find that having collections and not grouping movies into collections is an awful.  Certainly for me the idea of making browsing an even slower process is unappealing.  Grouping my movies into collections shaves about 30% of my collection off the movies screen.  With 1600 titles that's a huge time savings in scrolling when I don[t know exactly what I want to watch.

sparkplug188

Guys, thanks for the advice.  I have not enabled collections on my Emby server, so there is nothing for me to fix.  The opinions in the first post were based on observations of several close friend's Emby servers.

Based on the replies, it sounds like I can enable collections and customize it to behave exactly as I described in the first post.  I'll experiment with collections soon.  Thanks again, as always.  :)

Waldonnis

I can see both sides.  Everything on my server is mine and I actively maintain it, so I automatically know what movies are in which collections and I find it faster to navigate without having to see the movies ungrouped.  However, watching my aunt and uncle navigate my library...they have no idea what some of the collections contain.  Most are obvious since they contain same-name sequels, but they wouldn't think to look for Logan under my X-Men collection, for example (seems obvious to me, but they're not comic readers).  I have heard no complaints, though, so I guess they're fine just doing a little additional exploring.  Even if they did complain, too bad  :P

• Like 1