Shuffled (random) photo slideshows with simple options

MC Newby

MC Newby

Hello,

I’m new to this stuff of watching one’s content on the TV. I have a collection of well organised and rated 50k photos. I can make copies of them available through DLNA and through Emby to my TV. But my native LG photo slideshow, Emby LG app, Emby Android TV cast and no other solutions provide me with a way to watch slideshows of my photos displayed in the random order. I do not want fancy transitions, direct access to metadata (rating is correctly displayed as Community rating already) just a simple play and forget. In the order of importance:

– shuffle (available in Emby Android app, but doesn’t work as photos not cast to connected LG TV)

– freely adjustable pace in seconds (lower than 5, too!)

– filtering by rating: =, <, >, possibly also ≤ and ≥ (I could work around it by using folders, but since the rating is already read…)

– filtering by more metadata (year, locations etc.)

Am I correct that the above is not available currently through Emby? TBH, I have also looked at other solutions and BubbleUPnP comes closest, but not fully. Everybody seems obsessed at offering gazyliard of transitions, but not the simplest of functionality…

Thank you very much for a great product!

Regards

m.

– shuffle (available in Emby Android app, but doesn’t work as photos not cast to connected LG TV)

Hi, can you describe exactly what you mean by this? You should be seeing shuffle buttons when browsing photo libraries. As far as the filtering goes, yes we can look at exposing those filters. Thanks.

MC Newby

Hi, Luke, thanks for having a look!

So in my Emby LG app (LG49UJ635V, Emby 1.7), there is no shuffle in the Library set to Home Videos and Photos (that’s where it would be most useful, along with being able to set the pace in seconds).

But even in my Emby Android app (Galaxy S7, Emby 2.9.92), where there is a shuffle button for the same library, the button gives me “Playback Error, No compatible streams…” locally even though the Library contains simple JPEGS that show up in Androind app fine locally when tapped individually (Play button behaves the same to Shuffle button: error).

However, and this I hoped would workaround LG app not having shuffle, when the cast button is toggled in the Android app to display content on TV (films work well then), both Play and Shuffle buttons do not do ANYTHING, nor can I tap individual photos to display them on the TV. Nothing happens, button just light up and do nothing.

I can only play slideshows from within LG app, but there is no pace control, they do not play in random order (makes it super-boring) and, very slight annoyance, the TV insists on showing loading spinner between the photos (this may be a TV limitation?).

Thanks again and let me know if I can clarify anything!

Regards

m.