Android TV Subtitle appearance

vangeliis

vangeliis

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure if this is a Server issue or a player issue, so I'm posting it here first. @@ebr

I had this strange behaviour yesterday when trying to play a film with embedded srt subtitles using the Shield TV app: Subtitles appeared much larger and towards the bottom of the screen (not the usual cc appearance). What would explain the subtitle appearance? How do I prevent this from happening again, as I prefer the standard cc subtitles? Server log file attached and photos to illustrate the difference in appearance.

embyserver.txt

post-244638-0-22896300-1526625308_thumb.jpg

post-244638-0-07476200-1526625328_thumb.jpg

Edited by vangeliis

vangeliis

UPDATE:

I think the position of the subtitles may have something to do with the aspect ratio (i.e 2.40:1 or 16:9).

With regards to the font size I tried to make it smaller in User settings-->Subtitles-->Text size: Small but has no effect on the Android TV app (still large subs).

post-244638-0-42629700-1526710235_thumb.png

vangeliis

I've done a bit of testing and regardless to what text size I set the subtitles in the server settings I always get the same size on my shield tv. Is this as expected?

I went through all the xml config files and can't find an entry for text size. Can someone point me towards the corresponding xml file?

vangeliis

UPDATE 2:

v1.5.88g was pushed to my Shield TV and that seems to solve the problem I reported in #1.

Now if I could make the text size smaller.....

I've done a bit of testing and regardless to what text size I set the subtitles in the server settings I always get the same size on my shield tv. Is this as expected?

Hi, did you read post #3?

vangeliis

Yes I did but can't find a text size setting in the android TV app. Have I missed something, or do you mean something else?

We just haven't added a setting for that yet, but it's planned for the future. Thanks.

vangeliis

That would be a great addition. Looking forward to it.

Please can I request another thing. Is it possible to treat all films as 16:9 aspect ratio and therefore fix the positioning of the subtitles? The reason I'm asking this is because when a film has a aspect ratio of 2.4:1 (and the black bars stripped) the subtitles are positioned higher up than when the film is encoded as 16:9 and has black bars. This way single line subs are positioned in the bottom black bar bad do not obstruct the movie.

vangeliis

We just haven't added a setting for that yet, but it's planned for the future. Thanks.

@@Luke @@ebr

BBC iPlayer uses a nice interface to change text size. Please see attached screenshot.

Hope you will find this useful.

post-244638-0-28589200-1527024982_thumb.png

Edited by vangeliis

Yea embedding it into the subtitle menu is nice, however for us it's not that simple. You don't just set subtitles on or off, rather you pick subtitles from a list.

vangeliis

You could have the language selection just above the text size on a separate horizontal line.

post-244638-0-85276800-1527073153_thumb.png

Edited by vangeliis