Rohanaj

Rohanaj

Good evening,

The great news is that I haven't once had the jump-back-a-few-seconds problem with the iPad app since the latest version with the new player was released.  However, I've run into a few other items today:

1. While playing back a movie, the screen will flash white for a split second and the picture will change to a black screen with the sound continuing for a handful of seconds, after which time the app will close.

2. During normal playback, if I pause the stream, the app prevents the iPad from sleeping indefinitely - pausing used to still let the system fall asleep.

3. If I use the Home button on the iPad to go out of the app, it requires me to log back in to the server every time even though the app remains running in the background when I have jumped out of it.

For #1:  I'm pm-ing you my system log from when this was happening, @@Luke.  I'll try a couple different files as well tonight and tomorrow to see if it happens with those as well.

For #2 & #3:  I'm not saying these are issues, just that they're a change in functionality from the previous iPad app versions and am more wondering if this was an intended change for one or both of them?

-Roh

Rohanaj

As a quick follow-up concerning point #1, the same thing has happened with 3 other files in the last 10 minutes that I've attempted to stream (with the same error message in the log as what I forwarded to you), 2 of which are files that I have streamed to completion previously on iPad.

Edit:

Additional testing:

a. Same files in Web App have no issue continuously playing well beyond the point the iOS app crashes/stops.

b. Uninstalling and reinstalling the iPad app resulted in no change.

Edited by Rohanaj

The great news is that I haven't once had the jump-back-a-few-seconds problem with the iPad app since the latest version with the new player was released.

This was actually resolved by Apple in iOS 11.3, but the new video player in the app makes it a moot point as well.

Rohanaj

Another follow-up - I ran into a solution of sorts last night (steps "C." and "D." below), so I wanted to see if the crashing happened again today, and if the same steps alleviated it again.  Throughout the day, using the same video file for all attempts, I did some troubleshooting and my experimentation ended up confirming what I did last night (steps listed in order of attempting):

A. Connected on wireless external network using public IP address for server (standard required username/password login, Recent Activity IP address = external IP).

(1) Result = no issues, streaming smoothly.

(2) Closed app after streaming.

B. Opened app and connected at home on wireless local network using automatic server discovery (no PIN/password needed, Recent Activity IP address = internal IP).

(1) Result = stopped/crashed after a few minutes, exact same error as the log I sent yesterday.

(2) Re-opened app after crash.

(3) Reconnected and attempted streaming again with same crash/stop result

(4) Re-opened app and went on to "C." step.

C. Connected at home on wireless local network, adding server manually using public IP address (standard required username/password login, Recent Activity IP address = public IP)

(1) Result = no issues, streaming smoothly

(2) Signed out of app but did not close.

D. Connected at home on wireless local network, server discovered on local network (no PIN/password needed, Recent Activity IP address = internal IP).

(1) Result = no issues, streaming smoothly -> in fact, it has streamed multiple items at home without issue now.

From this, it would seem that the crashing is tied to streaming from an external source and then connecting to the server on the local home network with server discovery, which can then be resolved by forcing the app to connect to the server through the public IP address, then back to server discovery.  All of that seems quite convoluted, but steps "C." and "D." definitely needed to be done both last night and today to stop the crashing that was happening during the "B." process.  Hopefully some of this info is helpful at least.

• 2 weeks later...
jimbankshome

I can second the exact same problem #1 as Rohanaj.  I've not tested for other issues.

My videos (tried several) start to stutter and clip after about 2 min of play. Then after 4-5 min of play, like Rohanaj, the screen goes black and audio keeps playing for about 10 seconds, then the app crashes.

The iOS app is now unusable for me on my iPad Air 1. Running the latest Windows 10 Emby Server and iOS app 1.5.1 (though the crashing also occurred on 1.5.0).

The iOS app was stable as a rock before the latest round of updates. Unsure if this is related to the iOS update or the latest Emby server.

Seems like others are also having this problem since the latest updates.

Luke - What information can I provide that will help you troubleshoot this problem?

• 4 weeks later...
Rohanaj

@@Luke, any ideas on the crashing still? I’ve updated to the latest version of the iOS app, but I still have to continually do the little dance I outlined previously to get the app to stop blacking out the picture and crashing.

The silver lining is that the dance does still let the app work after doing it, it’s just that you have to do it every single time your iPad or iPhone changes network from local to remote and vice versa.

Thanks for your time, I know you’re always busy.

jimbankshome

I also continue to have this issue with the EXACT same app symptoms leading to a crash that Rohanaj describes. 

My apologies that I've not been able to troubleshoot his solution as I've been out of town on business for several weeks and not able to test locally for at least the next several days.

Given the weirdness of the behaviors and the match of symptoms, I'm suspecting we share the same problem. But again for me...

1. App connects to server fine and starts playing the movie.

2. Stutters in video and audio begin after 3 - 4 min of play.

3. Picture eventually goes completely white within 10 min for just a moment or two.

4. Picture goes black and audio continues to play for a few seconds. 

5. App crashes completely.

6. I can restart the app on the same or any other video and exact same behavior.

7. 100% repeatable on any video.

8. iOS has been totally unusable to me since both 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 releases. Always worked flawlessly before that.

9. So sorry I cannot send log but will try as soon as I can.

10. Hopefully the logs from Rohanaj and others are helping troubleshoot.

Also would appreciate an update.  Thank you!

Rohanaj

I also continue to have this issue with the EXACT same app symptoms leading to a crash that Rohanaj describes. 

My apologies that I've not been able to troubleshoot his solution as I've been out of town on business for several weeks and not able to test locally for at least the next several days.

Given the weirdness of the behaviors and the match of symptoms, I'm suspecting we share the same problem. But again for me...

1. App connects to server fine and starts playing the movie.

2. Stutters in video and audio begin after 3 - 4 min of play.

3. Picture eventually goes completely white within 10 min for just a moment or two.

4. Picture goes black and audio continues to play for a few seconds. 

5. App crashes completely.

6. I can restart the app on the same or any other video and exact same behavior.

7. 100% repeatable on any video.

8. iOS has been totally unusable to me since both 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 releases. Always worked flawlessly before that.

9. So sorry I cannot send log but will try as soon as I can.

10. Hopefully the logs from Rohanaj and others are helping troubleshoot.

Also would appreciate an update.  Thank you!

While I always have to do the process I outlined previously on my home network, I too have had the crash problem occur on external access network connections at times (usually after it's been successfully working on home network and then I change to the external network).  During those times, I've had luck with a version of that process when I've encountered the crashing (you'll have to know your IP address or server web address at the time of course):

0. Make sure the Emby app process is completely stopped (double tap Apple Home button and swipe the app completely shut).

1. Load up the Emby app.

1a. If you have it set to auto-login, sign out of the server so you get to the login screen.

2. At the server login screen, select "Change Server".

3. Tap your normal server and hit "Delete" to remove it from the list so there aren't any servers listed.

4. Click "Add Server" and enter your server's address and port information.

5. Log back in to the server.

At that point, it streams nicely again for me until I change networks.  So, like I said, it's basically a dance I do whenever a crash happens and the crashing stops until I change networks (usually between local and external/remote), but at least it's a workaround that I've had success using.  Hopefully it will work for you as well.

• 1 month later...
Rohanaj

Hi Luke, just thought I'd check back in on the issue of the app crashes.  It's still occurring on the latest version of the iOS app.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
jasonsimth
it was working smooth on my iPad Pro when it was running on ios 10 however as I have updated to ios 11.3 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

with regards

Edited by jasonsimth

• 2 weeks later...
Rohanaj

Hey Luke, after updating to the latest version of the Emby app on my iPad, the random crashes seem to be back, just without the white screen.  Now the video stutters a few times, then pauses and the app crashes.  It seems to happen most often when switching networks from external to internal, but it's not consistent either.  For example, it crashed twice on the same video last night, after about 8-10 minutes of playback, on my internal network.  Then, this morning, on an external network, it crashed two more times, at about the same intervals, but continued to play for the next hour after restarting the app and re-entering the server address.