Emby Server

lepitismak

lepitismak
Hello everyone, I am setting up a Emby server and I would like to ask some questions:

1) As far as transcoding is concerned, does the video card actually help with anything? If so, is there a recommended video card?

2) I was thinking of buying the i7-7700 processor, with a 128GB SSD (I'll use the google drive file stream to get the storage on my google drive). With that, I could have in playback simultaneous how many access?

3) I saw that there is a hardware acceleration option in Emby, would this be for use with the video card?

Thank you all for the attention.

lepitismak
SETUP WILL BE:

INTEL CORE I7-8700K COFFEE LAKE LGA 1151 3.7GHZ 12MB CACHE, BX80684I78700K

MSI H110M PRO-VH PLUS, DDR4 CHIPSET H110

HD WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB CAVIAR BLUE SATA III 3.5, WD10EZEX - OEM

OPTANE INTEL NG80 MODULO OPTANE 16GB M.2 PCIE 3.0, MEMPEK1W016GAXT

MYMAX DRAGON USB 3.0 PRETO LED PRATA, MCA-FC-F75/SL

PCYES ELECTRO V2 430W 80 PLUS BRONZE, 26212

lepitismak
correct setup

INTEL CORE I7-8700K COFFEE LAKE LGA 1151 3.7GHZ 12MB CACHE, BX80684I78700K

GIGABYTE H310M-S2H , LGA 1151 CHIPSET INTEL H310

OPTANE INTEL NG80 MODULO OPTANE 16GB M.2 PCIE 3.0, MEMPEK1W016GAXT

HD WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB CAVIAR BLUE SATA III 3.5, WD10EZEX - OEM

AEROCOOL KCAS 500W BRONZE 80 PLUS, EN53367

GAMER MYMAX DRAGON USB 3.0 PRETO/VERDE, MCA-FC-F75/GR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
lepitismak

I was thinking of migrating from plex to emby but I came across a complicated situation. emby can not read subtitles embedded in the .mkv container. my whole library is that way. And about transcoding, I'm giving it up. Taking advantage of topic, how much processing is consumed in direct playback?

Waldonnis

I was thinking of migrating from plex to emby but I came across a complicated situation. emby can not read subtitles embedded in the .mkv container. my whole library is that way. And about transcoding, I'm giving it up. Taking advantage of topic, how much processing is consumed in direct playback?

That's odd, since all of my subtitles are also muxed into the media files' Matroska containers (mkv) and I've never had an issue with subtitles during playback (mostly Roku and Kodi playback here).  Granted, some clients may not support that arrangement, but I believe Emby will extract and cache them if it needs to.

@@lepitismak, we sure can read embedded subtitles from mkv. Why do you feel that we can't? We're happy to help. Thanks !

Guest asrequested

What app(s) are you using to play? Direct play means that the player will handle everything, so the server won't be processing anything.

• 3 weeks later...
tdiguy

Direct playback requires very little processing power. My setup is a integrated mobo / cpu that uses a intel centrino cpu that has 4 cores. Direct streaming to 3 client devices at one time and running the server i see about 30% cpu utilization on 1 core and the rest are idle at about 1%. Much of the work for direct play is done on the client side.