Help setting up shield tv, avr, smart tv via ARC

vangeliis

vangeliis

Hi,

I’m probably missing something very obvious but please feel free to point it out.

After been fed up with the way TizenOS handles audio pass though I got myself an nvudia shield tv.

The way I have configured my system is as follows:
ShieldTV—> Onkyo AVR hdcp 2.2–>Samsung Tv (2017 Tizen) Hdmi3 ARC.

This way the Emby Android tv app for shield tv works great and I get all the hd audio lights to come up on my avr.

The only major problem I have is that the TV can’t send audio back to the avr via arc as it used to do before connecting the shield. The only option I get in the audio settings is Optical out.

Is it possible to configure the arc chain so that when I’m watching liveTv the sound is not coming out of the tv speakers but through the only?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vangeliis

Edited by vangeliis

mastrmind11

yes, there is a setting on your tv to enable arc and/or disable tv speakers.  this has nothing to do w/ adding the shield.

vangeliis

Hi,

ARC is enabled on my TV but the only option I get is Optical out or bluetooth speaker, while before connecting the shield, I had the option for home theatre. To me it looks like the TV does not recognise the AVR is still connected.

vangeliis

Does it have something to do with the fact that the shield tv video mode is set to 4k@60fps and arc does not support it?

Does it have something to do with the fact that the shield tv video mode is set to 4k@60fps and arc does not support it?

The use of ARC for  your TV should not have anything to do with the Shield if it is connected properly.

Now, ARC will not be available while actually using the Shield because it isn't necessary - the Shield is directly connected to your AVR.

ARC would only come into play when you are actually viewing another input (like the TV tuner itself).

vangeliis

@@ebr thanks for your comment.

The way I have set it up ARC lights up on my avr. However when I change input (from shield to live tv) I only get sound from the TV speakers. For some reason the TV does not send audio to the avr via arc. Puzzling...

mastrmind11

And you're certain you have the cable plugged into the ARC port?

Guest asrequested

I'm curious. Are you trying to return audio after the stream has passed through the AVR? If that's the case, there isn't any audio. The AVR should only output video, as it is designed to process the audio.

vangeliis

@

No, I'm trying to return audio when watching terrestrial TV.

Guest asrequested

@@ebr thanks for your comment.

The way I have set it up ARC lights up on my avr. However when I change input (from shield to live tv) I only get sound from the TV speakers. For some reason the TV does not send audio to the avr via arc. Puzzling...

So you're watching a different source of media, that is directly connected to the TV, in a another HDMI port? The way you have it connected, that is what it's designed for.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Guest asrequested

@

No, I'm trying to return audio when watching terrestrial TV.

Oh right, so the tv tuner is in the tv, and you have an antenna connected to the TV?

Guest asrequested

According to the manual, you have to disable the tv speakers. That you can hear sound from the tv, would suggest you haven't done that.

Edited by Doofus

CBers

I have my Shield connected to my LG soundbar for audio, with the video going to the ARC port.

I get sound to the soundbar if I use the TV tuner, XB1 or TV STB.

Not sure what's wrong with your setup @@vangelis, but it might be worth unplugging everything and starting again.

@@FrostByte is a Samsung user, so he might know how to disable the TV speakers.

I had it set up on my Samsung previously, but I've migrated to an LG TV now.

vangeliis

thanks @@CBers

I have just disconnected my shield and tried to go back to my previous setup and to my surprise I can't get ARC to work  :(

TV HDMI3(ARC) --> AVR Out, Anynet+ and Onkyo ARC enabled.

What is going on?

vangeliis

Okay guys I think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

After switching everything off (unplugging the power cords from the sockets) and turning power back on again..........

ARC WORKS again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hallelujah. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

My setup isn't exactly like this, but I guess my Xbox One X is acting sort of like your guy's Shield

Xbox One X >>> Audio passthrough to HDMI input of soundbar >>>  Samsung Soundbar <<< Audio from TV/ 4K from Xbox One X passthrough using ARC >>> Samsung QLED

I didn't have to turn off the speakers from my TV.  The TV recognized my soundbar and automatically switched audio to that.  However, I can switch the audio setting of the TV back to the TV speakers if I want.

Edit: my soundbar passes 4K video, some of the older soundbars do not passthrough 4K

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

vangeliis

Thanks @@FrostByte

Everything works as designed (even volume control) now after a hard restart.

I knew there was something obvious missing but I did not expect that I would have to shut everything down to make it work.

So relieved. Thanks guys for all the support.

FrostByte

Great, ya I probably had all mine powered off when I hooked it up so it just configured everything and worked when I powered up

vangeliis

Yes, in hindsight I should have done the same. Lesson leant.