New to emby, using emby on my gaming and working pc

Mytre

Mytre

Hello, I am new to emby , so far set it up nicely. I dont plan on big usage on emby server, just weekend playback on local wifi, about 1080p to a smart tv and 1080p to another pc.  I see people build dedicated machines but I dont have the money or the space to put a desktop to work solely on emby . Would emby affect my performance on games? I have a ryzen 1600x and a 1070 with 16gb of ram. I stay at 1080p on both my monitors and all that. Worst case scenario is 4 people watching 1080p movies from my emby server using the local wifi, I am connected to the 5ghz wifi.

Would my hardware be enough for this type of server? Or should I look to re purpose and old office computer into being an emby server with windows? Another question is if a 5400rpm drive or a sshd (2.5 inch drive with 5400rpm and a small ssd part) be enough for all my media for playback over the emby server?

dcrdev

Hello, I am new to emby , so far set it up nicely. I dont plan on big usage on emby server, just weekend playback on local wifi, about 1080p to a smart tv and 1080p to another pc.  I see people build dedicated machines but I dont have the money or the space to put a desktop to work solely on emby . Would emby affect my performance on games? I have a ryzen 1600x and a 1070 with 16gb of ram. I stay at 1080p on both my monitors and all that. Worst case scenario is 4 people watching 1080p movies from my emby server using the local wifi, I am connected to the 5ghz wifi.

Would my hardware be enough for this type of server? Or should I look to re purpose and old office computer into being an emby server with windows? Another question is if a 5400rpm drive or a sshd (2.5 inch drive with 5400rpm and a small ssd part) be enough for all my media for playback over the emby server?

Should be alright - although I'd always recommend running Emby on a separate machine.

Your biggest concern here is going to be operating off of wifi, handling simultaneous clients over wifi isn't going to be the most reliable experience.

The hard drive - fine for media, but you'd get a lot of benefit from running the transcoding cache and library folders off a separate ssd. Don't have much experience with sshd's so can't comment on that.

KarlDag

Hello, I am new to emby , so far set it up nicely. I dont plan on big usage on emby server, just weekend playback on local wifi, about 1080p to a smart tv and 1080p to another pc. I see people build dedicated machines but I dont have the money or the space to put a desktop to work solely on emby . Would emby affect my performance on games? I have a ryzen 1600x and a 1070 with 16gb of ram. I stay at 1080p on both my monitors and all that. Worst case scenario is 4 people watching 1080p movies from my emby server using the local wifi, I am connected to the 5ghz wifi.

Should be fine as long as you're not gaming and using all ressources the same time.

Agree about wifi, try to get your server and as many clients as possible on ethernet.

Mytre

Should be fine as long as you're not gaming and using all ressources the same time.

Agree about wifi, try to get your server and as many clients as possible on ethernet.

I would love to, but this is just for my uncle and my cousin, they are pretty much tech ignorant in this aspect so convincing my uncle to run a ethernet cable from my pc t othe router or modem its out of the question. So far streaming in house has a bit of problems mostly for rewinding a movie .